Notices

confused

Old 11-14-2013, 03:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

confused

I've woken up and its day 10 and I praise the lord for this new chance at recovery. I really dont know what's going on but I dont feel an urge to drink anymore. I have found my higher power and I just feel so alive. I think the threat of loosing everything and hitting that bottom changed me. Im just baffled by it because I haven't had any withdrawal symptoms, im sleeping perfectly and not even thinking about alcohol. Ive had a severe drink issue for 15 years and all of a sudden im fine??? Im really hoping this isn't some kind of delayed reaction and its all gonna hit me soon. I pray its not.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi RJ,

I could be wrong but you might be experiencing acceptance. It's the point where you say "enough is enough" and for the first time you really mean it. When you do this it removes the choice of drinking which for me, made it much easier. As long as I knew that there was a possibility and when I wasn't really committed to quitting, just saying that I was committed to quitting, that's when I had the problems.

This doesn't mean that you won't have cravings eventually. Just put a plan in place ahead of time so that if they sneak up on you then you're prepared.

Acceptance is good, I found it to be a relief. No more struggle with what to do with urges when they show up because there is no choice.

Big thumbs up! It sounds like you're there
Old 11-14-2013, 05:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi RJ. There are so many paths to sobriety it's hard to say this or that did it. I agree with LB that acceptance plays a big roll along the path along with self honesty about our alcoholism. At the end of my relapsing I had the feeling of being sick and tired of being sick and tired. At that point I needed to surrender to the fact that I could not drink in safety.

After stopping we need to be aware of the minefield out there trying to make us forget the pain of the past with alcoholic thinking like it wasn't that bad and such as I'll only have one or I was going through a difficult period and on and on. Hang strong and work on long term recovery.

BE WELL
Old 11-14-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope your journey continues to be smooth.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

God did for me when I could not do for myself but he did not do the things that I could do for myself. I sought professional treatment, worked the program of Alcoholics Anonymous, build a network of sober friends, was honest with myself and those around me, stayed away from drinking situations, and countless other changes in behavior and actions
Old 11-14-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

That is beautiful.

Now grab on to it with both hands and don't let it go. It's a gift in strange wrapping.

Blessings to you !
Old 11-14-2013, 06:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nice! Keep in mind that feeling may not be prolonged and if you had a 15 year addiction you are going to experience some cravings despite hitting rock bottom. If you aren't experiencing withdrawals and haven't in the last 10 days, I highly doubt you are going to have latent reaction. I'm currently in premed and work in a detox center, I know I'm not supposed to give medical advice on this forum but I think you are in the clear as far as physical withdrawals go. Your optimism is definitely positive but I'd still try to preserve a sense of caution. Cravings can sneak up on you.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

most will not make a year -- this is serious

Originally Posted by RJY9 View Post

Ive had a severe drink issue for 15 years and all of a sudden im fine???

Im really hoping this isn't some kind of delayed reaction and its all gonna hit me soon. I pray its not.
you are still pretty new to sobriety
best to stay on careful guard

find a Program that works for you

note
of the ones who get sober (so they say)
over 80% of them will return to the drink or drug within the first year

MM
Old 11-14-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
EndGame

Confusion is often a sign of growth and change.

The cravings will come. The idea is to be prepared for them when they show up on your doorstep.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

...I haven't had any withdrawal symptoms, im sleeping perfectly and not even thinking about alcohol.
Yeah, this is the point where I usually convinced myself that I didn't have a problem.

And drank...
Old 11-14-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had a good friend who got me started on this process (30yrs sober but goes to AA daily) and he would say you make as much ground when things are going well bc they won't always.

Early sobriety I liken to a roller coaster ride. Use the positive emotions to get a plan in place, learn about yourself and be prepared for when things become more difficult.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Yeah, this is the point where I usually convinced myself that I didn't have a problem.

And drank...
I'm under no illusion that i dont have a problem, i know i do and its a big one. I'm just really getting through this alot better than previous attempts, like 100% better than the last 4 times. I wouldnt take a drink right this second if someone opened the bottle and put it infront of me. Thats the truth.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm under no illusion that i dont have a problem, i know i do and its a big one. I'm just really getting through this alot better than previous attempts, like 100% better than the last 4 times. I wouldnt take a drink right this second if someone opened the bottle and put it infront of me. Thats the truth.
It's great that you are feeling this strong. I've heard some describe this as the "pink cloud" where you are nearing the end of the initial acute withdrawal, and feeling literally on top of the world, unstoppable, relapses are not even possible in your mind.

I think what most are suggesting is simply not to get complacent and keep your guard up. We are never "cured" of alcohoism, we simply live with it and manage it. And that was the hardest part for me - learning to live my life without alcohol.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This is all good but being with a alcoholic mind it can be dangerous in the future. For instance in the future IF for whatever reason the urge to drink hits, our AV might tell us it was so easy last time so no big deal.
BAD idea!

BE WELL
Old 11-14-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I wouldnt take a drink right this second if someone opened the bottle and put it infront of me. Thats the truth.
The challenge isn't drinking when you don't feel like. The challenge is not drinking when you do feel like it.

I'm glad you are feeling good and the resolve is there. You have obviously been through a "life changing" experience. I think most of us can point to the time in our recovery where it felt different from all the other attempts. Use it as a touchstone. But have something in place, a plan, a strategy, for when your resolve falters.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support everyone. )
Old 11-14-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober since March 21, 2013

Hey RJ!

Congratulations on 10 Sober Days, and many more days in the future.

I had a similar feeling almost eight months ago. After over 40 years of drinking, and many failed attempts to quit, I woke up March 21st with my usual hangover. Instead of reaching for my usual "beer for breakfast" I made a cup of hot tea. I had a feeling deep inside that I no longer needed to drink. Today I desribe it as a personal Miracle.

I had prayed for recovery many times before, but it usually only lasted until noon, or at most a few weeks or months. That morning in March was different.

I had a few rough months. Not from wanting to drink, but from my body and mind recovering after being dulled by alcohol for so long. After the usual insomnia and night sweat wore off the depression and anxiety seemed to magnify. Some days regrets would jump into my mind about things that happened thirty or more years ago.

I went from 170 to 150 pounds the first two months (I've recently gained most of it back due to a new appreciation for cookies and ice cream).

I've never been to any meetings and I only discuss my sobriety with my closest friends. I still have alcohol in my house for guests. I just have no desire to drink any.

That same feeling I felt in March is with me all the time. I've come to realize it was always there. I was the one that insisted on dulling my life with alcohol.

I know I could drink right now and nothing bad would happen. I might even enjoy it for a while. But little by little the amount would increase, the hangovers would return, and I'd be back to DAY ONE with all of the crippling anxiety and despair.

I don't ever have to feel that bad again, and neither do you.

I hope you continue with your sobriety.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TexasMichael View Post
Hey RJ!

Congratulations on 10 Sober Days, and many more days in the future.

I had a similar feeling almost eight months ago. After over 40 years of drinking, and many failed attempts to quit, I woke up March 21st with my usual hangover. Instead of reaching for my usual "beer for breakfast" I made a cup of hot tea. I had a feeling deep inside that I no longer needed to drink. Today I desribe it as a personal Miracle.

I had prayed for recovery many times before, but it usually only lasted until noon, or at most a few weeks or months. That morning in March was different.

I had a few rough months. Not from wanting to drink, but from my body and mind recovering after being dulled by alcohol for so long. After the usual insomnia and night sweat wore off the depression and anxiety seemed to magnify. Some days regrets would jump into my mind about things that happened thirty or more years ago.

I went from 170 to 150 pounds the first two months (I've recently gained most of it back due to a new appreciation for cookies and ice cream).

I've never been to any meetings and I only discuss my sobriety with my closest friends. I still have alcohol in my house for guests. I just have no desire to drink any.

That same feeling I felt in March is with me all the time. I've come to realize it was always there. I was the one that insisted on dulling my life with alcohol.

I know I could drink right now and nothing bad would happen. I might even enjoy it for a while. But little by little the amount would increase, the hangovers would return, and I'd be back to DAY ONE with all of the crippling anxiety and despair.

I don't ever have to feel that bad again, and neither do you.

I hope you continue with your sobriety.
Thanks Texas. Thats a great post. It is amazing this feeling and i pray to hold on to it. Peace man!