Notices

30 days and first time in a restaurant

Old 11-13-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

30 days and first time in a restaurant

Well....today is day 30 (again) for me. As in my previous years in sobriety, I have avoided "slippery places" in early sobriety. My husband and I had a VERY stressful day (lots of errands, appts. etc.) and so decided to go to a friend's restaurant (that I have been avoiding like the plague). When the waiter and the owner (our friend) arrived at our table, of course they asked, "What would you like to drink?" THAT'S NORMAL....lol...."Iced tea", I IMMEDIATELY replied. Whew! My husband ordered his usual cerveza...he had 2 and I had 2 iced teas Somehow it felt NORMAL...it really surprised me! I guess those years of sobriety are still there "somewhere"....So glad to be sober today. Welcome to all of the newcomers! You can do this!
Old 11-13-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

trudgingagain -- Congratulations on 30 days!!!

All those past years of sobriety are called experience.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Last week we took our daughter out for her b-day. Her 1st time in a restaurant in 60 days. When the waitress asked "what do you want to drink", I think I literally held my breath. She said "do you have cherry coke?" And then folded up the drink menu and asked the waitress to take it away. I had no idea that something so "ordinary" could be so stressful. But we had a great time. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trudgingagain View Post
Well....today is day 30 (again) for me. As in my previous years in sobriety, I have avoided "slippery places" in early sobriety. My husband and I had a VERY stressful day (lots of errands, appts. etc.) and so decided to go to a friend's restaurant (that I have been avoiding like the plague). When the waiter and the owner (our friend) arrived at our table, of course they asked, "What would you like to drink?" THAT'S NORMAL....lol...."Iced tea", I IMMEDIATELY replied. Whew! My husband ordered his usual cerveza...he had 2 and I had 2 iced teas Somehow it felt NORMAL...it really surprised me! I guess those years of sobriety are still there "somewhere"....So glad to be sober today. Welcome to all of the newcomers! You can do this!
Trudhing- thanks for this post. I hope to get to that place too some day, where I can go to the places I previously associated with wine and create a NEW NORMAL by drinking gingerale and thinking nothing of it! you give me hope.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on thirty days sober and for sticking to iced tea!
Old 11-13-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks all....I'm tryin'
Old 11-13-2013, 05:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You rock--congratulations on 30 days and your first trip to a restaurant!

We are a huge "eating out" family, and I remember feeling pleasantly surprised that going to restaurants wasn't harder. Now, at 4 months, I typically don't even think about alcohol when we are out (no, I lie--I still check out what others are drinking--old habits die hard!).

Again, well done!
Old 11-13-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 days sober and for sticking with the iced tea!