Hi all

Old 11-13-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi all

Haven't been in this section of the site in awhile. Last few attempts at sobriety I figured I didn't need a plan /sigh

When I first signed up with this site, I looked a bit into AVRT but am a bit rusty on it. Think I have the book somewhere to read...

Anyway, just wanted to say hello!
Old 11-13-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Avra,

I'm Chris and I can relate to having a past few attempts. I am navigating my way around again on here… trying to at bare minimum check in once a day and see how people are doing.

I'm new to AVRT and really hoping that it works and that I can retain the motivation to STICK WITH IT! That's been my problem in the past.

Anyway, hello
Old 11-13-2013, 05:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Avra and rc4dt1,
I am in the exact same boat as you guys with attempting to come back here. I have the same problems with sticking to it...wishing you two the best,
copperfield
Old 11-13-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Copper

Glad you posted. What have you tried to stick to? Just staying clean? Any program work for you for a time?

I have tried AA… went to meetings, had a sponsor, worked the steps, volunteered, all that stuff.. not gonna knock it cuz it worked for a while but eventually it ended up frustrating me and I resented the program. Trying to find another way that works better for me but I need something… just "not drinking" with no support at all doesn't work for me. I end up isolating bad and eventually say F it.

I don't want to do that anymore.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Chris and Copperfield. I personally haven't tried many programs. I went to one AA meeting and that was that. I like what I have read of AVRT- does anyone have experience working it with any other program? I just wonder if its enough on its own. For instance, I am a life long anxiety sufferer with social and other phobias. I have a lot of personal issues to work through too. I know AA tries to address the "spiritual malady" but I wonder if any of the secular programs try to address what got us drinking in the first place?

Anyway just rambling. I need to read more..
Old 11-13-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Avra, Chris and Copperfield.

I'd definitely suggest digging out your Rational Recovery/AVRT book and/or go to their website and if you haven't been drinking take the crash course.

I quit the night I joined here. I was in the process of drinking myself into my nightly stupor when I put the beer down mid thread (for good) and kept posting and learned about RR/AVRT.

This thread is always good for a jumpstart:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ined-long.html
Old 11-13-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello,
yes I have read books on avrt and enjoyed that as well as went to aa meetings. I found they do help. I think for me it is a combo of emotional problems, my career, and just strength. I commit for a bit but I seem to always fall back into the nasty. I wish I could drink normally but then one or two always lead back to bender in time. This forum helps me a lot too. Today is day one and I'm almost through it. Tomorrow will be a hard challenge as I am a musician and have a gig at my local pub...
Really nice to be meeting all of you and chatting,
thank you
Old 11-13-2013, 08:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I can suggest you go to the rational recovery website, and read the crash course in AVRT. It will begin the process that you need to go through to understand your AV, and to recognize it in your thoughts as they occur. As you learn how to do this, you can understand that since you have already decided to quit drinking for good and you have made your Big Plan to quit drinking, that these thoughts don't represent what you have chosen for yourself, they are the thoughts coming from your alcohol parasite, from your addiction. You can recognize them as 'not you', and dismiss them.

The Crash Course will also help you to understand why you are so divided on the idea of quitting drinking. Part of you knows that it must happen, but the other part keeps messing it up. The Crash Course will show you that this is the nature of addiction simply because if there is no desire to quit, or there is no need to quit, then it can't be called an addiction.

Please keep posting and asking questions. There is no doubt that each of you can succeed at this, but you first need to believe that you can. Onward!
Old 11-14-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

where do I find the rational recovery crash course?
Old 11-14-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You will need to do a search (Google, Bing or whatever you prefer).

I think I typed in the words; AVRT Crash Course.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Online. Point your googler at 'rational recovery crash course', you should find it easily.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

hi Avra,
you asked if anyone has used other programs,and yeah, i got sober in connection with LifeRing, The LifeRing Home Page | Sobriety, Secularity, Self-Help . it is not a program as such, but a peer-support organization built around sobriety (abstinence), secularity and self-help.
there is an excellent workbook you can find out more about from links on the website, called Recovery by Choice, by Martin Nicolaus, founder of LR.
they are a growing organization and actually happen to have a face-to-face meeting in Vancouver on saturday afternoons.

they have many on-line options you can check out.
and the Anne Fletcher book "Sober for Good" has a great variety of people speaking about the diverse ways they created a sober life for themselves.
many roads.