Notices

Drinking & Smoking

Old 11-13-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking & Smoking

Hi all,

I've recently attempted to stop drinking (I'm on day 3 at the moment) and I also want to quit smoking as it's a terrible habit. I've always known I couldn't quit smoking as long as I was still drinking - the two just go hand in hand together far too well. Was just hoping someone could give me some advice on whether trying to kick both at the same time would be easier in the long run or not. So far I'm feeling pretty good about this and want to maximize the benefit for my health.

Thanks,
Henry
Old 11-13-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I quit the booze first, still smoking in fact. I only smoked while I drank in the past. Now I smoke full time.

My advice. One at a time. They say smoking is the hardest to quit.... I call bull on that!! Tell that to an alcoholic or heroine addict! They will not agree.

It's my crutch for the time being. Both at the same time would be way too much stress risking relapse. Every person is different though
Old 11-13-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If it were me, I would quit drinking first and worry about the smoking a bit later down the road. It might be a bit overwhelming otherwise.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by spinape View Post
I quit the booze first, still smoking in fact. I only smoked while I drank in the past. Now I smoke full time.

My advice. One at a time. They say smoking is the hardest to quit.... I call bull on that!! Tell that to an alcoholic or heroine addict! They will not agree.

It's my crutch for the time being. Both at the same time would be way too much stress risking relapse. Every person is different though
You just described me exactly!
Old 11-13-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I quit drinking only (7 months) but I'm a closet smoker shhhhh no one really knows I'm pretty ashamed of it. Now that I'm steadily sober I'm in the process of quitting, the fact that its freezing out is helping as I don't want to sit outside.

I know many quit simotaniously so if you can do that without risk of messing up your sobriety I say go for both while you already going to be crabby, I wish I had from the get.

Good luck and welcome
Old 11-13-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Henry! I agree that it's too much trying to kick them both at once. I would think both addictions need to be focused on separately.

We are glad you joined us! You found a great place.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

People vary.
I quit both at once. It was the right way for me

welcome Henry
D
Old 11-13-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Go for both at the same time. Think of it as ripping the band aid off fast instead of slow. I quit cigarettes and drinking 3 years back. The drinking returned after a few months to test to see if I could drink and not smoke. I could, but then didn't stop drinking. I smoked pot during that time so it kept me from going insane. 2 months ago I quit a 2 gram a day pot habit (thats a lotta bong rips) along with quit drinking. I was going nuts for the first 7-10 days, but after that things settled. Rip off that band aid quick. I wanted to quit for a very long time and was READY to quit. I would just reccomend be ready to quit. You know when you are, then you make it happen. Make it happen my friend...
Old 11-13-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I quit drinking four years ago but still working on quitting smoking.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Some people quit both at the same time. Perhaps that is better. Otherwise in a few months you will have to pass the withdrawals of tobacco.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recovered

I quit using all chemicals at the same time. That way was best for me.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've been told to wait at least a year after quitting drinking. But as you saw there are people here who have done both at the same time. Guess it's up to you. Personally I am hanging on to my smokes for now..
Old 11-13-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Different for everyone as you have read...I quit when I was 9 months sober. I used the patch and used the program of AA ---powerless over cigs and can't have just one etc. I honestly was so sick of being obsessed with smoking it wasn't that hard. I just wanted to be free of all vices. Be gentle with yourself and do what's best for you.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I did them both together, made sense for me as I only smoked when I drank. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Did both at the same time. They went hand in hand so one made me want the other. I had to remove the triggers to maintain my motivation.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I quit alcohol the beginning of January. That I know because I quit the night I joined here. Somewhere along the way I quit smoking (2 packs a day) and also completely changed my eating habits to paleo/primal'ish.

I really don't remember when I stopped the smoking and stopped all the crap I was eating but I think it was about April/May for the food change and maybe June/July for the smoking?

Interestingly, during my 13 years of not drinking, I never could give up the smokes and didn't care what I ate as weight was not an issue. Then I drank for 5years, weight became an issue and I was chain smoking.

As many have said, it's really different for everyone. For me, once I put drinking alcohol behind me for good, by using AVRT and mindfulness, the rest just seemed to be a natural progression.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

There is no way I would have given up the smoking when I quit drinking. Quitting the booze was hard enough, I didn't need to add something else to the mix.

It really is a personal choice.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

For me sobriety works best when I don't smoke. Two reasons for this. Firstly, cigarettes are a gateway drug. If I've got cigarettes, I tell myself I "might as well" have something else. Secondly, the improved health and energy levels I get from not smoking don't register if I have a hangover. Likewise, a nice clean head in the morning after a few days sober isn't appreciated if I'm then smoking. Having said all that, on Monday morning, after a good break from smoking, I bought 20 Malboro and smoked them all in a single session. Of course, I felt like death afterwards and seriously considered getting drunk as well. But I haven't had any cigarettes since then and now I'm using a nicotine patch.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I would quit drinking first and worry about the smoking a bit later down the road.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey guys,

Wanted to thank you for the input. Sounds like this is something that varies a lot person to person. I think I'm going to hold off on trying to quit smoking. Already have enough anxiety issues as is, might be best to tackle one things at a time.

Thanks for the warm welcome,
Henry