Notices

new job and work dinners

Old 11-12-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SeaScape

new job and work dinners

Hi all

I just got a new job. It's a HUGE blessing to me. I start next week. It's a great job. It has benefits. I have my own office. I have been unemployed and that's not really in my life plan. This job is very important to me. It's my day30 today and I feel very proud to be where I am and starting a new job. I have had to make alot of changes and still - as soon as I change something to my satisfaction - a new thing appears. I guess that is called evolution? Evolution of myself.

I have been invited to a work dinner. It's not mandatory, it's a random thing b/c of a visitor from out of town. I'm not going to go. This is the right decision for me but I feel SO insecure in it. I will be nervous and I will be offered alcohol and I really don't want to have any but I would believe it would relax me and help me fit in and so I would have some. I know I wouldn't get out of control - there - at dinner. I do think it would be better if I went- but I won't not have the job if I don't go. I think they just want to get to know me and be kind but I just feel too nervous about going.

thank you for your time!

Have a good day!
Old 11-12-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For what it's worth, I think you're making the right decision. You haven't even started yet - sure, it would be a nice "ice breaker", but there's nothing wrong with waiting to rub shoulders until your first day in the office. This one's a no-brainer, but I do understand why you feel a little insecure about it. But rest assured, it's a smart move. Stick with this new kind of thinking.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like a wise choice to me, at least for now. Later you should feel more secure about your decision to stay sober

D
Old 11-12-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's understandable in early recovery. I had a mandatory work function which was a convention in Las Vegas. During exhibit hall hours, they had free cocktails and my booth coworker brought me a drink both nights. I turned it down politely both times but I did turn down attending a dinner with a client that wasn't mandatory for the same reason. I knew with all the other challenges I didn't want to push it. You know yourself and you know what is right for your recovery. Don't feel bad about putting your sobriety first!
Old 11-12-2013, 05:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SeaScape

Thank you very much for the feedback. I have no idea what I am doing yet as far as recovery goes or my plan or anything like that. I will figure it out along the way.
I very recently decided to abstain from drinking for 30 days. Well here I am. That WAS my plan. Now I plan to give it up forever after realizing that not drinking is better and that I do have a problem. It is still very hard for me to understand. What I do know is that I am a better person and I feel better sober. Even though I am nervous about this new job- in general I feel less anxiety and self-doubt now that I am sober.

Again thanks for your shares and that every so valuable thing called: reassurance!
Old 11-12-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I think you're smart to turn this one down. There will be other events later after you are more secure in sobriety.