Notices

First Day!

Old 11-12-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Day!

Hi ...! I'm new.

I've been aware that I have a serious drinking problem for decades. The quality of my life deteriorates daily and I know I need to see a doctor (and I'd dearly love a long-term stay somewhere). I cannot believe that I'm still alive. Thank god my dog is okay, and that I've never run into anyone with my car. I know I look like I'm 20 years older than I am ... recently I just haven't been able to keep up with my job ... I can't face grading papers or even talking to my students any more. I hope something turns around. It's nice of you guys to have a forum like this ...

BeccaNell
Old 11-12-2013, 01:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Becca - glad top have you here

do you have any kind of a plan for staying sober?
D
Old 11-12-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Becca!

How do you plan to stay sober? Are there recovery meetings in your area that you are comfortable attending? Are you planning to speak with your doctor?
Old 11-12-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Becca You'll soon get your looks back
Old 11-12-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Becca, there is lots of support here. Glad you have joined us.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Good luck, you can do it and you will look good again xxx
Old 11-12-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks!

LOL -- honestly, my looks among the least of my worries, but that is comforting! Yes, I imagine some day I'll recognize myself in the mirror again. But first I have to get through these 24 hours ... I've been reading about a facility in my city that may help me, but I think I'm required to live there. I don't think I can afford it (I know, I can't afford NOT to, but I just don't have the money). I'd like to go to a meeting, but I'm shy to go alone ... is there a way to find people who will accompany newcomers to meetings?

~ B
Old 11-12-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Something for you to consider, Becca: It is never too late to turn your life around. Most of the physical effects of alcoholism are reversible. You apparently still have a good job.

There are hundreds of us here at SR who are living proof that you CAN turn things around. And, as bad as things have been for you as an alcoholic, there is still a big, beautiful world out there for you to experience, just as easily as anyone else can. And you don't need an invitation or permission to get sober. You just need the commitment to get sober.

If you have that commitment, you will find the good people here to be a valuable source of information and support.

Good luck. Welcome to SR. I am glad you are here with us.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can always ring the local AA office - I'm told someone will usually be glad to meet you before the meeting or something like that

D
Old 11-12-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If you are too shy to go to a meeting alone, check to see whether there is a local service office for AA in your area. You can call them to see if there is a beginners meeting or if there is someone, a woman, who you can meet and go with to a meeting. There are also women's meetings in my area. That could be a good option if there are by you.

Everyone had a first time walking through those doors. People are typically very welcoming. I'm having a dilemma of my own because everyone knows me and knows that I haven't been to a meeting in a very, very long time.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good luck, stick it out.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Almost 11:00 in the morning here, it's been a rough 4 days, very little sleep which isn't helping to recoup, oh just trying not to start drinking again just so I could sleep. well maybe tonight?
Old 11-13-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I'm glad you found us and joined the family.