Notices

Can't stand this constant need for sugar.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can't stand this constant need for sugar.

Hi it has been 64 days sober. Glad I chose to stop and get help, but the constant craving for sugar is making me feel sick. Never used to like sweet things but the past I'd say 4 weeks thats exactly what I have been eating.
I do try walking day and night even though I have been feeling pretty tired.
Just want to get past this as aftewr having all the sugar I'm really crashed bad, and can't think clearly.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Sugar cravings are huge for me, too. I now see sugar binges as an indirect trigger leading to a relapse. When I overindulge on sugar (or fast food), I first do it as either a reward or as a coping mechanism. I temporarily feel better, but I soon feel sick and once I feel tired and sick, then I am open for the thinking of "why bother to stay sober" to take over my brain. I now take great care to avoid sugar binges and regulate and limit my intake.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have heard from lots of people that they experience this when they stop drinking. I personally don't but its definitely common.. What ways are you getting your sugar? Are there sugarfree alternatives (soft drink etc) Otherwise maybe try chewing some sugar free gum? Sorry I'm not much help :/
Old 11-12-2013, 04:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Seedless grapes saved me

I wanted ice cream, cake, anything sweet. It drove me insane. In the beginning I allowed myself whatever I wanted then it had to come to an end.

Green and red seedless grapes (in the fridge) are great! They're sweet and it took care of the sugar craving. I realize that there are still sugars involved but eating a chocolate bar vs a handful of grapes is a big difference. Also, I stocked up on these ice creams called Skinny Cow. They have these round ice cream sandwiches in different flavors. Bought fat free frozen yogurt.

Go easy on yourself, you're doing hard work. Try to find some alternatives so that at least while you're in this stage you're not packing in the calories.

What you are experiencing is completely normal
Old 11-12-2013, 04:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Has been icecream and during the day I do eat sugarfree gum, but for some reason when I am home I go straight for the icecream. But I have never liked soft drinks, I drink water during the day or tea.Thanks for your feedback.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Am going to try getting back into eating fruit and yoghurts. Because if I keep on going like I am, I'm scared of what may happen.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by mcauliffes View Post
Has been icecream and during the day I do eat sugarfree gum, but for some reason when I am home I go straight for the icecream. But I have never liked soft drinks, I drink water during the day or tea.Thanks for your feedback.
That's funny, you just made me realize that ice cream seems to be the favorite too around here. Try doing a search on the words ice cream and I bet you get a ton of posts as a result!

Seriously, look for Skinny Cow products. They have ice cream sandwiches, they have these awesome ice creams that are like candy bars with cookie dough in the ice cream, they have cones etc etc. You can usually find them in the dairy case at the grocery store.

Nothing like this is good for you long term but it's better than sitting with a spoon and a quart of Haagen Daaz. Try the grapes too, they really do satisfy a sweet tooth.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
Sugar cravings are huge for me, too. I now see sugar binges as an indirect trigger leading to a relapse. When I overindulge on sugar (or fast food), I first do it as either a reward or as a coping mechanism. I temporarily feel better, but I soon feel sick and once I feel tired and sick, then I am open for the thinking of "why bother to stay sober" to take over my brain. I now take great care to avoid sugar binges and regulate and limit my intake.
I am exactly the same Jazzfish, Im convinced that all my binging on sugar contributed massively to drinking on saturday night (after two months sobriety), I felt so awful anyway because of the weight gain and sugar hangovers that I just thought oh stuff it I'll get drunk Its a learning curve though and Im going to try to use this as a lesson. I know that I cannot eat /binge on what I want to make myself better as it leads down a slippery slope! Am going to take processed sugars out of my diet completely ( I find it easier to have none than just some! ha like everything I guess!)
Old 11-12-2013, 04:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

We are definitely hardwired to crave the easy calories of sugar, as well as salt and fat. Those three things can be very habit forming and make healthy foods seem too bland. However, if you can fight through it and establish healthy eating habit, then it tends to make the overly sugary, salty, and fatty foods much less appealing. At least, that's what works for me.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm on cipramil and I can't stand the sugar cravings I get on it!
Old 11-12-2013, 04:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
LDT

I never ate sweets until I quit drinking.....then it was like the damn burst and I couldn't get enough. My sugar consumption created a lot of painful inflammation in my body, so I taught myself how to eat fruit. Someone on the Healthy Eating thread turn us all onto Frozen banana raw ice cream, which saved me. It's fabulous, healthy, satisfying,and ultra easy to make. Google it.... There are a hundred recipes online. You might google Paleomg.com to get started.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Me too! What I did was find a brand of zero calorie ginger ale that I like, and I have a 220 calorie high quality dark chocolate bar at night. (I found it at our local food coop - it is phenomenal). I fell into a little ritual around it - at around 7 I settle in and eat the chocolate square by square. Since I know I am going to have a 220 calorie bar a night (thats 1540 calories a week - yikes!), I just make sure I get more exercise during the day). I haven't put on any weight so far, but wine bloated me so much I look thinner anyway!
Old 11-12-2013, 05:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
Seedless grapes saved me
Also, I stocked up on these ice creams called Skinny Cow. They have these round ice cream sandwiches in different flavors.
LOVE Skinny cow.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

There is a 100 days of abstinence for obvious sugars thread over in the eating disorders section which might help
Old 11-12-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one! Ive on my 12th day, and yesterday when I finished eating through the leftover halloween candy, I made a trip to the store just to get more halloween candy on clearance. I've also put on about a pound every two days, not to thrilled about that...
Old 11-12-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I do a smoothie with fresh fruit every morning. That usually gets me through the day now. The first month was rough though.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You MUST combine protien when eating sugar. Try eating peanutbutter on an apple next time you need something sweet. Just try it
Old 11-12-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Alcohol breaks down as sugar, so when you stop drinking there is a deficit your body craves.

I was talking about this with someone last night. It is actually very common.

Protein does help quell sugar cravings.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR mcauliffes

Hope you have success with the fruits and yoghurt

D
Old 11-12-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I like how you Aussies spell "yogurt" Dee!