Notices

Fight with my fiance only when I've had to much alcohol

Old 11-12-2013, 03:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fight with my fiance only when I've had to much alcohol

My partner and I have been together for 1 year and a half and only had about 5 serious fights and they have all been alcohol related. I start of having 6/7 beers then I get sick of drinking beers and switch to vodka and orange or cocktails.
After I have a couple of vodkas or cocktails and I see him talking to a girl who is just a friend of his at the past couple of reunion school parties I've gone to I get completely bitchy and I am horrible to him!!! I don't care him talking to girls normally especially when I just drink beer but I get sick of drinking beer and it's hard for me to just have water or a soft drink as I am already tipsy and my judgement is cloudy but I am so horrible to him after the spirits to the point where he doesn't want to be with me anymore. Do you think the chemicals in the vodka/cocktails are not going well with the chemicals in my brain? I am fine on beer but not them it's so annoying cause other girls seem fine when drinking spirits!! Should I just stay away from cocktails and spirits it's so hard! We are going overseas soon to and I love having a cocktail every now and then! I used to love drinking wine when I was younger but switched to beers and a cocktail every now and then, I used to be very messy on wine so quit that but now I think it will be very hard for me to say no to spirits now.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Alcohol is alcohol no matter what drink it comes in. Putting vodka on top of a bunch a beers on speeds the delivery to your system. I always found that anything I drank after beer, I drank at the same pace as the beer which is a dangerous pattern. Only you can say whether this is a permanent problem, but it definitely sounds like an unhealthy drinking pattern is becoming apparent.

If you find you think you need to quit, there is great support here.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! Do you want to quit drinking completely? I'd suggest giving sobriety a good try, say for three months, and see how you feel then. Sounds like alcohol, no matter what kind, is giving you a lot of trouble.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well if you are only horrible to your fiancé after drinking, and you don't like that behavior, the logical thing would be to not drink. I don't think the issue is the type of alcohol you are drinking, but the amount you are drinking. I've seldom been my best when drunk. I tend to be irrational, repeat myself, and say inappropriate things.

Have you though about stopping?
Old 11-12-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

You are engaged in the dance that almost every problem drinker, certainly myself, engaged in. And that's thinking your alcohol problems are related to what you drank, or where you drank, or when you drank. Maybe even why you drank.

So you try to control those various variables in an attempt to keep drinking. As long as you find the right elements, or combination, your drinking will be without consequences.

Here is what you will find out if you continue...your problem is your drinking. Not when, not what...YOU. You have to take you out of the equation.

But you don't seem to fully except that fact. I hope you'll read around the forum and see how many stories here are also your story. Good luck.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I was a younger, I thought “wow when I drink Tequila I turn into a complete dick head”. I later realized that the root cause of my problems was the first beer, and the type of alcohol had nothing to do with it. It was possible for me to quit after one beer but I can count on one hand how many times that happened.