AlAnon books

Old 11-11-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AlAnon books

I ordered loads of used AlAnon books from Amazon and the last few days have been like Christmas as they arrive on my doorstep. Along with the two Melody Beattie books I had already bought the "recovery shelf" on my bookcase is filling up fast.
I wanted to tell you about my copy of "Courage to change" Whoever had it before me has left some pressed flowers between the pages and some beautiful bookmarks. It is really touching and made my eyes fill up when I came across it. I really think this has been done on purpose to pass on some love. I might be wrong but the same person has gone through it with a Sharpie and scored out what looks like may have been personal notes so I choose to believe they wanted someone to enjoy the beautiful things.
I am blessed to have AlAnon in my life.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

JJ, great story about the used "Courage to Change"! I have noticed there seem to be a lot of very reasonably priced Alanon books on Amazon lately. I've been considering buying a few whenever I can and then donating them to various Alanon meetings to give or lend to newcomers as a starter.

I received my first Alanon book as a gift at a meeting and that made it doubly precious to me; I'd like to pass that feeling on if I can. Your post gives me ideas about how to make it extra special. Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-11-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am about done with The New Codependency by Melody. I haven't taken the quizzes because I don't feel like it yet. I think I'd like to get the Discovering Choices book next -the one that they are reading in the meeting I went to. Happy reading!
Old 11-11-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Another great resource can be thriftbooks.com. Their inventory can be eclectic & sometimes they just don't have what you're looking for but when they do I save tons!

They do free shipping & rate the used copies of the books from great to just ok.... and since they have warehouses in different cities, they offer discounts if you order books from the same warehouse so they can stack S&H. I've gotten great books for the kids for Christmas, copies of Who Moved My Cheese, the 4 Agreements, etc. I have never checked for al-anon books specifically though.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

JJ - it's great that you are gathering resources and diving into recovery books. just a word of caution, try not to read them ALL at once. there's gonna be stuff on those pages that just smacks you right between the eyes and it can be unsettling to say the least. easy does it. take time to absorb what you read....pause, reflect, breathe.

many find a highlighter to be helpful, marking the points along the way that really SPEAK out. (this is harder with audiobooks!!! LOL). then the next time you read that book, take a different highlighter for anything NEW that resonates.

you truly HAVE given yourself quite the "Christmas" gift! be well!