Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

A 75 Year Harvard study found that the biggest single indicator of unhappiness is...

A 75 Year Harvard study found that the biggest single indicator of unhappiness is...

Old 11-11-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism! Well, this is no surprise for those of us here at SR, but it is quite significant that this was proven among the 268 Harvard undergraduates that they followed over the course of 75 years.

"Recently, George Vaillant, who directed the study for more than three decades, published Triumphs of Experience, a summation of the insights the study has yielded. Among them: “Alcoholism is a disorder of great destructive power.” Alcoholism was the main cause of divorce between the Grant Study men and their wives; it was strongly correlated with neurosis and depression (which tended to follow alcohol abuse, rather than precede it); and—together with associated cigarette smoking—it was the single greatest contributor to their early morbidity and death."

What Makes Us Happy, Revisited - Scott Stossel - The Atlantic

I'm am incredibly grateful we found each other here at SR. Our lives, thoughts, health, and happiness do not have to be ruled by the alcoholics in our lives. Over time, we gain the courage and strength to re-build the best lives for ourselves, which is what we have always deserved. The road to recovery is hard, but no one is alone.

Thank you, SR friends, for taking my hand whenever I have reached out.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just responding because something's aren't meant to be buried!
Old 11-15-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well slap me around and call me Susan - in a way, this is good news. Because it means there's nothing worse than what we've already dealt with!