Notices

This has to stop

Old 11-10-2013, 04:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This has to stop

Hi folks,

I hope you're all doing well with your things. I am at work on a Monday morning after being on a month-long binge. I just recently told my girlfriend and she was livid, understandably. I had told her I was on medication.

I have to stop this before it does more damage. I'm not aggressive or anything but just it's really not healthy. And she is worried I won't be here long after I told her I was drinking 4-5 bottles of soju each night.

I hope to get some good advice and contribute to your help as well. I hope this is the last of it.

Thank you!
Old 11-10-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I hope so too romando. I hope you'll post here regularly. The support & encouragement is so important. You are never alone, no matter what you're going through. Glad to see you.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, romando! Just remember that what you're feeling right now, you never ever have to feel or go through again.

Glad you're reaching out for help... keep posting/reading and you'll receive lots of encouragement and support!
Old 11-10-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by romando View Post

And she is worried I won't be here long after I told her I was drinking 4-5 bottles of soju each night.
sounds like she loves you
if
you love her also
you might wish to slow down your drinking - or stop ???

note
not saying this is you
but
many who drink to excess end up losing loved ones

MM
Old 11-10-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sure, I think stopping is the only way as I live on my own and only stay at home. We really had a big fight and I said I will stop and look for help. I love her a lot and don't want this to be a problem anymore.

I really have to stop and I hope some of you guys will join me.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome,
Have you tried AA?
By the way, what is Soju?
Old 11-10-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR, a very supportive place. If you're looking for help in staying sober, you found it.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's a Korean alcohol. I live in Korea and there's not much in the way of AA. So I'll try to keep posted on here and read others posts too.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Romando! Yes. You have come to the right place. Lot's of great advice here! Hope you stick around!!
Old 11-10-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So what is the best way to fight the urge to drink initially?
Old 11-10-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

D
Old 11-10-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

well first off we need to keep the plug in the jug - don't drink no matter what

not much AA there uh
hard to believe because I thought that it was most everywhere
anyway
all can find an AA Big Book around somewhere
it truly helps to explain our condition
great starting point for ones wishing to stop drinking

also -- this site will be of great help for you

Mountainman
Old 11-10-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The urge os more than likely your mind, it's thinking alcohol and how to not mess up.
Therefore it's not really a "fight", it's a "surrender" to alcohol.
In other words you don't have to "fight" it because you are walking away from it, the urge.
Coming here is one way of walking away from that "fight".
Eventually when alcohol is no longer part of your living, you can continue helping the next person who is "fighting alcohol", by sharing your experience of that "surrender, to - alcohol", and so on.
Eventually, there will be hundreds who have done the same "surrender" all sober, happy, joyous and free from the bondage of alcohol, the "un-winnable fight".

You can always start a new AA meeting/group in Korea, turn the urge/thoughts to learning how to do that !
What do you have to lose by trying?
Old 11-10-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Smile

In an interest of full disclosure romando I only quit 9 days ago. I have made dozens of attempts over the years, but in these last couple of months I have had more success. The last time I went 21 days before talking myself into a drink that led to a week long binder. This time I just made a decision not to drink anymore. I looked at my life and finally recognized that drinking could not fit with my future. I had done a lot of prep work reading about different approaches to sobriety, and after examining my belief system, embarked on the approach that I think will work for me. From what I have read on this site and in various books on substance abuse and quitting drinking it looks like there are multiple paths to sobriety. Over the last nine days I have been on SR at least twice a day to post and to read other's posts. I think my participation here and the support that I have recieved from others has made a big difference in reinforcing my decision to quit.

Good luck and welcome!!!
Old 11-10-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

This is going to be different for everyone and you will probably find several things that work for you. For me, I changed my habits; I didn't go the the bar after work every day.

After a couple of weeks it was realizing how much better I began feeling each day and then began looking forward to what the next day would hold...

You may find something as simple as not having to hide your drinking from your girlfriend to be enough incentive....

Use these forums and whatever else you find that works. I've been more of a lurker than an active participant, but I can attest that there are some great people here that will help and encourage you in any way they can.

One day at a time...

-jtampa
Old 11-10-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I found two AA meetings in Korea romando. Not sure if they are anywhere near you. Here is a link. AA in Korea: Home
Old 11-10-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Oh, thanks a lot for finding that but it is quite a way from me. I really appreciate theadvice and I think I'll go see my GP today to ask him what's best as withdrawal is always tough.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Just try and do it a day at a time. Or if that seems to hard break it down and do it an hour at a time if you need to. I truly believe that we often make it seem so big and scary in our heads that there seems no choice but to drink. I find doing it a day at a time and telling myself that this feeling will pass helps me a lot. I am only 6 days sober today, but I was in AA previously for some time. I can tell you it does get easier (also having to tell myself this at the moment) and all I know is that I really like waking up everyday knowing where I was the night before and not having to call anyone to apologize for my actions or find out who I offended... Early days of sobriety are really hard, but short term pain for long term gain. Hang in there. I wish you all the best on your path to a happy sober life
Old 11-13-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Theophania,

That hourly breakdown really worked. I had an issue yesterday where I thought I should drink, then I thought... well, there's enough time left in the day. But then I got on here again and read that. It is really sound advice and helped me get through the evening relatively easily. I hope it continues too!

I hope this can help some of you others as well.