Notices

How do you stop a relapse in its early stages?

Old 11-10-2013, 03:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you stop a relapse in its early stages?

Im a heroin addict who is about 6 months clean and has relapsed on codeine and poppy seed tea. Ive only used codeine probably about 5 times and poppy seed tea twice.

So i guess you could say it hasnt gotten that bad yet. But i know from past experience that it will get worse and worse. Luckily my dealer went to jail so i couldnt pick up my DOC even if i wanted to.

But needless to say i need to be TOTALLY clean.

I feel like the fiend has been awakened inside me though. Before i first picked up a codeine bottle I never really thought to much about drugs or had THAT many cravings. But since then i have been having lots of cravings and my mood has been down.

HOW DO I SNAP OUT OF IT? In my past attempts to quit id always hit a bottom where i literally had no choice but to quit. It would put me in this mindset of "I hate drugs, drugs will ruin ur life" and i could stay clean for quit awhile with little cravings and problems but it always wears off after awhile it seems.

How do I get my head back into recovery mode and jump back on that sober horse? Please. I cant become an active addict again
Old 11-10-2013, 03:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello FallenAlien - In my opinion, I think relapses are the norm for people who just begin the sobriety journey. At least that is my take from reading 100's of posts here on SR. My advice to you is to NOT beat yourself up and to USE this relapse and a teaching moment.

I would also encourage you to focus on where your life leads when you use. Keep in mind that only YOU can stop it.

Finally, ask yourself, "Have I finally had enough". Again, only YOU can make that decision.

My DOC is wine. I know there is no such thing as just having one. It is all or nothing. And, I have had enough!

I hope you too will feel the same and keep posting here on SR!

My best xx
Old 11-10-2013, 03:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I, in the beginning of my trying to stop drinking I'd ask questions like this at meetings and finally heard, after hearing it many times, "just don't pick up the first drink and you don't have to get sober AGAIN." Being undisciplined I needed to follow simple suggestions, and they finally worked.

BE WELL
Old 11-10-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I could think of several methods that have indeed been the real deal for me in my early sobriety... I'll try to make a short list:
* Grinding it through - This is plain, old-fashioned and valid. When there is a craving or annoyed or otherwise bad mood the thing is to endure it and know that eventually it will pass. And it will. This simple thing has helped me a whole lot with my sobriety. You could try to occupy yourself with other things even when not feeling like it... or just do nothing.
* Learning to live a more relaxed existence - This is very important in my opinion. It is basically learning to not take stuff too seriously nor take as much stress of any thing that may have previous ticked you off... The less worry the better.
* Positive mindset - somehow keeping in mind the positive sides of sobriety and trying to be proud or positive about each day of sobriety gained. And to value each day has worked wonders for me.
* One day at a time - This is as the above. Instead of focusing on weeks, months ahead, it is important to focus on today. And also to learn to enjoy the little things. This is an excellent exercise for patience as well.
* Activity on the subject - Staying focused on recovery and remembering what is taking place, thus being merciful towards oneself and not taking sh*t too much from other people. Activity like browsing/posting on SR has been a lifeline for me. Great support here.
* Avoiding triggers - Very important in my opinion. This is avoiding people who actively use, dealers and the like. Places too where dope is within reach.
* Avoiding other substitute addictions - Some addictions are positive, such as exercise and hobbies etc... but say you are in heroin recovery and decide to start drinking then that road doesn't lead anywhere.
* Full abstinence - This is the key to defeating any addiction. Complete, total abstinence from the harmful substance. No exceptions.

Hopefully this list gives some ideas or insight to use in recovery.
Good luck on your sobriety and welcome to SR.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I like to make benefit-cost lists of using versus not using. Simply list out all the benefits and costs of using in two separate columns and then list all the benefits and costs of not using in another two columns. There serves two purposes for me.

The first is that I put into words all these things which brings it all to the front of my thinking. I especially like to do this once a day, because my thinking becomes clearer and the lists change.

The second is the visual impact makes it very clear which way if the best way to go. Even though I already know which way is the best, when I see it in writing, it has a very strong impact with me.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
EndGame

Relapse is not a requirement for sobriety.

When you feel yourself slipping, call someone you trust...Before you relapse.

When you have that bottle, that needle, that pipe, that rolled-up bill in your hands, you're at a turning point. Whatever happens next is entirely up to you.