Notices

Not sure how to deal with my parents

Old 11-10-2013, 02:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The Kid

Not sure how to deal with my parents

Hey guys, because of how things are going with me I had to move out of my flat and move in with my parents at home. This hasn't been working well for me because my parents don't treat me very well and they're not supportive at all, I'm stuck in this house and I'm completely alone, I don't know what to do. I've tried to confront them about it but they just say that im too sensitive but I know this isn't the case. If they spoke to other people like that on the street then they would get beaten up or something, it's really not good.

I'm thinking about writing them both letters but I'm scared, what should I do guys?

This whole situation makes my mood really low and that is usually why I end up drinking and I think this makes being sober incredibly hard and I really just want it to be over.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There isnothing you can do to change your parents or get them to understand-the only thing you can control is how you react to and deal with them.

Accept them for what they are.Do not let it annoy you.Resentment is the biggest single cause of people drinking again. Forgive them,let it go. Can yo umaybe go to AA,meet sober people build up your support network.

Look on this as a temporary thing till you can move out-are there any sober living facilities near you?
Old 11-10-2013, 02:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Are they harassing you or are they just more self absorbed and do not support you a lot?

ReadyAtLast is right it is difficult to change people.

I am sorry you are going through this – do not let it hinder your recovery.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wouldn't bother writing them letters. I assume you've told them they are hurting you, so they probably won't change.

The best thing you can do is to find an alternate place to live. Is that possible? If not, work on saving as much money as possible and finding a place of your own asap. No one should have to live with verbal abuse.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It sounds like you've had a rough time lately, so please do the nicest thing you can do for yourself and stay sober. Being under the influence is not going to help you deal with your parents. It will make things worse. You need to keep a clear head to keep the situation manageable for yourself. My sobriety is also being somewhat challenged by one of the people I live with. I tell myself that my first and only priority is to stay sober and that no matter what this person does, I can choose not to react to it. That doesn't mean I won't deal with it eventually, but it does mean I can put some distance between whatever he does and how I choose to respond. On a couple of occasions, it has meant not responding at all, literally, just ignoring the behavior.

So for the time being, give yourself a break, and forget about confronting them or writing them letters - just take care of yourself. You'll find lots of support here.