Notices

Wanting/needing to quit smoking marijuana

Old 11-09-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wanting/needing to quit smoking marijuana

I'm 32 years old and have been a heavy, daily smoker for the better part of 8 years. Im posting on here tonight because I'm in need of some support. The time has came and gone where my addiction has ran my life, and it's over. Today. I know some folks say marijuana is all mental withdrawal, and they are probably correct, but nonetheless, it's still a major hurdle for me. I have a stuttering problem that was once seemingly calmed down buy smoking, but te past few years, it seems to make it worse. I also have an anger problem. I have a job that I enjoy, but I am in fear of a random UA. I would no doubt loose my job, and my livelihood. Then, there is my son. I can't let him grow up watching daddy smoke. I am better than that, and my son damn sure deserves more. So, in closing, it's nice to be hear and I hope I can find support, as well be a support structure for others going through recovery.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I smoked daily for about 30 years. It was certainly not pleasant to come off, but it was bearable and pretty finite in duration

Keep yourself gainfully occupied, try to eat and rest well, and stay away for tempting situations and I think you'll be well on your way

You'll find a lot of support here, mustquit

D
Old 11-10-2013, 12:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi buddy. You can do it. I was a big smoker and quit pot last after quitting drinking and ciggs and it was tough. I had physical withdrawal symptoms like queezy stomach and major night sweats etc. but it got better after a week and now I don't have to worry one bit about a **** test for a job or getting pulled over. I was a big smoker for 15 yrs so your experience may be much smoother. Give it a go, follow your gut and don't listen to smoking pals or your AV and you'll be fine. Good luck to you!
-Ted
Old 11-10-2013, 12:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome MustQuit. I'm also in my 30's and had been constantly smoking weed for 17 years. Every day, all day, even while working. I could always get away with it because I was quite productive while high. It was sort of my Popeye spinach. It took anxiety away, helped me feel like I could fit in, and I would be more social because of it. Most of all, it would slow down the chatter in my head and calm me so I could focus. But it also lowered my inhibitions for alcohol, cigarettes, sex, and I feel stunted my emotional growth.

I feel weed is the hardest for me to give up because it easy to think it doesn't hurt anybody. I would (and sometimes still do) rationalize that smoking weed is better than cigarettes or drinking alcohol because of the well-documented effects of those latter two. But I realized it doesn't matter what the crutch was. Anyway I look at it, I'm an addict. I did not hold control over myself and instead was dependent on that crutch. As a result of my routine, I now believe my weed use was a major factor in the love of my life leaving me.

Doesn't matter what others say, it's tough. In the past years, I've gone a few weeks without it, even a couple months. I've "quit" many times. But during those times, I just used another drug (crutch) to take weed's place.

I'm just started Day 6, this time without any replacement crutch. No weed, no alcohol, no cigarettes. This time feels different because I recognize my loss of control and that it has cost me over many past years. I'm taking it back!

Some observations from my own experience:
-If really want to quit, you have to be honest with yourself and truly want to quit. My half-ass quitting never worked. I'm feel committed now.
-If you smoke joints, pipes, or even bong loads, quitting will make your body feel a lot better. No more coughing up flem and tar. If you are vaporizing, you probably won't notice a big difference.
-The first couple of days are the WORST. So prepare to want it constantly! but be strong. For me, the desire tampers off by the end of the week 1 whereas alcohol or cigarette desire tends to hang around a lot longer.
-Given the amount and time-frame of our habit, it will take atleast 2-3 months to get the THC out of our system. It will take some time, so be committed.
-May have a lack of appetite. I found it hard to eat since weed would govern my meals. Without it, at first, nothing tastes right or good. Over time taste buds come back and food becomes more enjoyable than you could ever remember.
-Being the hook-up for your friends or having it around will hurt your chances. Heck, I go on long walks and smell it a few times. Where I live, I can easily find leftover joints. Even if I don't buy it or have it, it's available. That really tests my resolve even weeks later.
-Other smokers tend to not understand what's the big deal smoking weed. For some, it's not, for me, it is. You'll learn who really cares about you.

Too long of a post, but know I and others are here to help and you are not alone. Thanks for showing up and sharing.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

heya,

I've been smoking marijuana for fifteen years or so.
In two months i'll be 30.
Quitting was really really really hard for me, and I'm just starting to accept I've got a very long road of recovery ahead of me.

Dee74 is right, (as always lol), stay busy and rest well.
Time will do the rest.

My addition is: don't think, just be (sober).
When I look back at it, weed made my mind race and my thoughts unstructured.
This will pass but it takes some time.
Meditation helps me with regaining focus.

I never believed it for myself, but now I know it can be done.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh I forgot to mention. Expect some crazy dreams and nightmares. For me, each night would bring 7-10 back-to-back-to-back intense dreams. Initially it's tough to sleep well, but I get used to it within a few weeks.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm just waking up from my last night of smoking. Today marks day 1 totally clean and sober. I have no other vices so I won't be using anything as a crutch. I have plans on throwing all of my paraphanelia and "supplies" in an abandon lake. I also plan on deleting my dealer from my contact list.

I would like to thank you all for your support. It really means a lot. I'm typing all this on my phone, so it is kinda difficult for me to express myself the way I want to and to give all of my story. Your posts made a difference in this addicts life today, and for that I can not thank you enough. When I'm in front of a device with a decent size keyboard and screen, I will go deeper into my stories and struggles.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! You'll find a lot of support here.