Newest Poem by brother in Prison

Old 11-09-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newest Poem by brother in Prison

Please let me know if you have any advice or comments to send my brother's way...thanks for reading.

ME Vs ME

When I'm clean I see things quite clear
Without a clue who's looking back in this mirror
It's getting to know him that I really do fear
First time I've seen him in a reflection without a glare

I forever argue with this dude while he pays no attention
If I was a priceable he'd be up for suspension
If I was a coach I'd have already benched him
But some how this will effect me, he's like an extension

The dude looking back is constently whooping my ass
Ever since I can remember, Damn near everday of my past
Got to get my weight up to stop getting thrashed
If it is up to him I'm going to die getting trashed!

I'm tired of this dude that looks back as my twin
With time I've gained a soft spot because he's something like kin
Now eye to eye with him, no longer backwards I bend
Time to treat him like the enemy because he sure ain't a friend
Old 11-09-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
TMZ

It sounds to me like he is clearing up from the drugs, but still confused as to what is real and what is not. I think he is still in a debate between an angle on one shoulder and the devil on the other. I see he know he needs to build up some strength to fight and if he losses he knows it will lead to an early death.

He has come a long way, and yet more to travel. This road is a lonely one, and only he can climb the mountain on his own. We all have that dragon with in us, he has to rely on what he knows, what he learned as a child. Because it is God given we all have the power with in ourselves to do it and to heal, ... we always have all along.....

Keep up the strength you will prevail. There is a reason for you to have experienced what you have and you will soon find it.

Be well,
Old 11-11-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
TMZ

I didn't mean to scare others off from posting here. He has been doing real good with documenting his recovery with these poems.

Please share your feelings with him. He is learning how to live without drugs. This gives him more reason to search deeper.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is a great poem. It is amazing what people can do and create when they are incarcerated. People were not meant to be caged up like animals and it is a positive sign that your brother is writing poems. Some inmates just give up.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been reading all of these and encourage your brother to keep writing. I think it will be interesting to watch how they evolve as he is there longer and then also when he is faced with reintegration into society upon release. My son spent 4 months in minimum security prison...writing and drawing really helped him. My son got out and relapsed within 5 weeks. The feelings of hope I had for him really hit me hard and this subject is a little close to home which is why I haven't posted before. Is your brother working on recovery while he is there? I believe you said he is in solitary. Access to a NA big book perhaps? My suggestion would be to really delve into why he keeps repeating the cycle of addiction. Self reflection is huge and he's got the time now to really explore what is triggering him and consider healthy ways of reconciling whatever it might be. I do believe in miracles. I believe your brother can turn himself around...if he wants to ....there will be no stopping him.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This one is so clear I can actually envision his looking in the mirror, and seeing with different eyes. Prayers he gets stronger and "his true self" can shine through, overcome the broken guy looking back at him in the mirror.