Today has been a bad day..

Old 11-08-2013, 09:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today has been a bad day..

It's been almost four months since my boyfriend overdosed. Some days, I feel like I can get through this, some days like today...I just can't seem to find the need to get out of bed and do anything. Is there anyone else who can relate? Things just seem to be getting harder.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Tattoo. I've wondered how you are doing and have had you pop into my prayers many times. Have you been able to attend any support groups? My heart hurts for you....we are here...anytime you need to reach out. I believe there is a grief section on this site as well...Big, big hug to you tonight...
Old 11-08-2013, 09:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lizwig View Post
Hi Tattoo. I've wondered how you are doing and have had you pop into my prayers many times. Have you been able to attend any support groups? My heart hurts for you....we are here...anytime you need to reach out. I believe there is a grief section on this site as well...Big, big hug to you tonight...
I couldn't find a grief section on here.. I haven't been to any support groups, I haven't brought myself to that yet.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just found one...It's under the mental health section on here called grief and loss. I can only tell you that when I finally reached out for support, with people who shared the same struggles, things began to get better for me. You won't know how much support and relief you might find until you try. Promise yourself you will look into it....Big, big hug to you Tattoo...I ask so incredibly sorry for your loss.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lizwig View Post
I just found one...It's under the mental health section on here called grief and loss. I can only tell you that when I finally reached out for support, with people who shared the same struggles, things began to get better for me. You won't know how much support and relief you might find until you try. Promise yourself you will look into it....Big, big hug to you Tattoo...I ask so incredibly sorry for your loss.
thank you for always being here for me.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dear Tattoo, I cannot even begin to understand your loss from losing a loved one to drugs, but I did lose my Mother to Cancer on 2-25-2012. I found solace and support here on the grief and loss site. we all care here.
Love
TT
Old 11-09-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dear Tattoo, grief work is a process, and it's called "work" for a very good reason. There will be days you can get by and days you feel you can't even put one foot in front of the other. Questions to think about - how are you eating? how are you sleeping? how are you functioning at work? If none of this is improving, it may be helpful to talk with a doctor for a temporary antidepressant. Your heart, body and mind have been through such trauma, it does take time and sometimes medication to start the healing process. Wishing you peace today.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tattoo, I'm sorry today has been such a struggle. I lost a daughter to an overdose and for the first year or two, I never knew what the day would bring...some days were easier than others. To me the feeling was like being relatively normal and all the sudden just feeling like I was punched really hard in the stomach. The grief just took my breath away.

I visualized the grieving process like a box. Sometimes I could take the pain out of the box and sit with it..process it a bit. But sometimes I just had to put it away...I could only take so much pain. Everyone has different ways of grieving...Just know that there is no right or wrong way - the way through it is to let yourself feel what you are feeling - be very gentle with yourself.

Not a day goes by that I don't think of my daughter and miss her, but time and grieving have softened those thoughts and now I can embrace the memories. I hope in time, you will be able to as well. Gentle hugs.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm sure everyone wishes they could tell you that the pain will go away and leave you happy again, unfortunately that's not an option. You have to take the past 4 months and see that you have survived. All the pain and loneliness that you have gone through, you're still here. Use that as your strength, use that as your reason for getting out of bed everyday. Try to fill your days surrounded by friends and family, surround yourself with things that make you happy, or even just keep you busy. He might be gone, but he will never be forgotten, he will always have a place in your heart and your mind. All that's left is for you to heal.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you to the other posters for reaching out to Tattoo with your experience, strength and hope. This is one of the things I love so much about this site...

Tattoo is working through the one thing that paralyzed me with fear for years. I'm so glad I've been able to come to terms with my son's addiction. I didn't cause it, I can't control it and I can't cure it. But it doesn't lessen the sadness surrounding the situation.

Big hug to you Tattoo...do something really nice for yourself today. Thinking of you...