Notices

It has been a long struggle....

Old 11-08-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking It has been a long struggle....

Hello everyone!!!! I've reading posts on here in and off months looking for someone like me when I finally admitted to myself that I probably shouldn't be drinking. This week I went on a three day get drunk, pass out, wake up, and repeat type of thing. I've done it before but not recently and for some reason when I woke up horribly sick this time I knew that I needed to do something. So I did! I was withdrawing so could not sleep so I was online researching and researching and then a little more researching when I noticed that I can't do this alone like I had been trying. I knew I needed medical and emotional support but was so scared id go in there with great intentions and end up claiming the stomach flu again. I found a piece of paper and wrote down everything and when I say everything, I mean EVERYTHING! I had to because I knew if I didn't get help, this mess of myself would be no more. I could feel the alcohol killing me one drink at a time. Anyway I get to the urgent care, no family doctor so because do just moved to the area. I was right I chickened out and couldn't admit my issue with binge drinking but I knew I had to. I handed him my paper with everything on it and he told me how brave I was for coming to him!! what???!! I expected a lecture a "shame shame shame on you.." Something negative. He was so supportive and reassured me I was doing the right thing. He sent me to the er bc the meds for my withdrawal wasn't something his facility carried but he encourage me to go. I walked out angry because I had to work up the nerve to do that again...it was hard but I drove to the er and I actually got out of my car...again! Twice in one hour I did the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I'm on withdrawal meds now and I'm loaded with helpful resources I'm most definitely going to use. I am so proud and I couldn't be more excited to keep moving forward on the life long journey because I know if I can do what I did yesterday....twice, there is nothing I can't achieve. I can't wait to see what a sober life has to offer me and the lovely positive people it is going to bring into my life. Ok end of rant :0) feeling hopeful and ready to face each challenge
Old 11-08-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome and thank you for posting. You should be proud of yourself for taking this huge step toward getting well. My doctor was also very understanding and without the help I received I'd probably still be drinking/using. For most of us it's *very* hard to ask for and to obtain help. I always thought of myself as weak because I couldn't just tough it out and quit. I finally realized that I'm just human.

Please keep posting
Old 11-08-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Elfie!

Your post is extremely inspiring!!

I am so glad you stumbled upon us!!!
Old 11-08-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My doctor in the ER was also kind, wonderful and understanding and literally saved my life.
Good work Elfie!
Old 11-08-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR from a fellow Buckeye. I'm glad you found us and joined the family.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Agreed, I've always felt weak because I'm not like "normal" people but you are right we are only human! We all have issues and it takes a strong person to get help for those issues. I read somewhere the other day, probably on Facebook lol, that if everyone through all their problems in a pile for everyone to choose from, you would probably take your own back, I think I agree with that statement.

Thanks for saying my post is inspiring, it's hard for me to believe I'm even capable of doing that so early in my recovery...
Old 11-08-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Elfie

D
Old 11-08-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi and welcome Elfie
Old 11-08-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

That is really brave Elfie! Welcome.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done Elfie! You've been so brave! The first step is the hardest. Welcome xxx
Old 11-08-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
instant

Welcome. You have made some great first steps!!
Old 11-08-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's wonderful to meet you Elfie. You will really enjoy the support & encouragement you'll find here. I'm happy you found us.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone!!! I can fell the support already!!! I know it's going to be hard a lot of the times but I'm so ready to live
Old 11-08-2013, 05:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SeaScape

Amazing - you are a strong person! you can do this!

Medical people WANT to help so I am glad you shared your story.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Pat yourself on the back! Great job and good luck!
Old 11-09-2013, 02:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Elfie,thanks for sharing because it is very helpful to others who are daily fighting with their life and your story tell us how to look forward and how to struggle .It is really inspiring.