Notices

Finally quit drinking - now getting tested for health issues

Old 11-08-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally quit drinking - now getting tested for health issues

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. A quick history on me - started drinking under age whenever I could (house parties, sneaking into bars) but once I turned 18 I turned into a party monster. Went out drinking almost every night, started drinking during the day all day, even worked at a liquor store to help support my habit. During this time I was a chronic pot smoker for years, and was hooked on coke for about a year. I am 28 now and in the last 10 years I have only had a few periods of sobriety from alcohol (including a 3 week stay at rehab), but have been clean from drugs for 3 years and haven't had a drink in a week now. And I KNEW it wouldn't be as hard as I thought it would be once I did it.
Also, I have been smoking since I was 14 (half my life now - this is my next Everest to conquer).

So 10 years of hard drinking and smoking and some drug use, and my body has been telling me recently to SLOW DOWN. I am currently seeing doctors to figure out what is wrong with me. And I can't help but wonder if all these years of drinking and treating my body poorly has caught up with me.

I went to the walk in clinic a few days ago after experiencing chest pains for a few days. The doc wanted to do an EKG and a chest x-ray. She said if I didn't hear from her in 2-3 days, then I was fine. Today is day 3, so I can breathe in regards to this.

Over a month ago I went to my family doctor with symptoms of body tingles, and head pressure on the left side and behind my left eye. She told me to stop taking Niacin which can cause body tingles, and start wearing my glasses at work which could be why I am having head pressure. I stopped Niacin and have been wearing my glasses religiously, and still have the symptoms. In fact they are getting worse. The tingles are not only in my hands and feet now, they are everywhere. And the head pressure is more common and is accompanied by head aches.

I am going to back to see my doc on Tuesday afternoon. She said if I didn't improve we may have to consider a brain scan. Of course, Dr. Google has told me I have Alcoholic Neuropathy, MS, Fibromyalgia, a brain tumor... oh and my friend who has an aneurysm tells me I have the exact symptoms she had, of course. I know, these are waaayyy worst case scenarios. And yeah, I'm scared. But I also know a lot of these symptoms can be easily explained away.

The past while I have been very tired too - but I bet it was because I was getting drunk almost every night, getting 5 hours of sleep then getting up early for work. Now that I have stopped that, the tiredness is slowly improving.

I just had a full physical, thankfully my blood tests came back great, my organs are all fine. My heart is fine. My lungs are fine. Just need to figure out this head pressure/headache stuff. And the tingling.

So I am curious if anyone has experienced anything I am experiencing while they drank or after they quit drinking.

I know this was a super long introduction. I am just happy to have found this place. Cheers!
Old 11-08-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome peglegtink
No idea here, but I hope they find the cause and that its nothing serious

good to have you join us - congrats on your week

D
Old 11-08-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! This is a very helpful supportive site. We are here to support you in your goal to live a sober life.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!! You should be incredibly proud of taking control of your life!
Old 11-08-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I know that a lot of ailments both physical and mental disappeared after a while of not drinking. it is amazing how the body responds when we stop poisoning ourselves
Old 11-08-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

to SR I honestly think Dr. Google should be struck off !! It's SO easy to wind ourselves up reading medical stuff online, but very VERY difficult to reassure ourselves