Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

26 days sober, almost to the 1 month mark, but what a boring month it has been!

Notices

Old 11-08-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Yes, my sleep, health, relationships have all been improving but I have been so bored this past month. I'm really not sure if sobriety is for me. Then on the other hand, my life has been a lot less stressful. Maybe this is me just missing that initial buzz, the warmth, the relaxation brought on by a drink.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Personally having drinked for 20 years, I expect it will take time to find new healthy things to do.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Took me a longtime to appreciate that the boredom I was experiencing cojuld be called something else: Serenity.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree that early sobriety can be boring. I've always assumed that part of the reason for that was that my brain hadn't come sufficiently back online to return me to the pretty interesting person I am sober. Often times, I find that I'm bored because I'm being a boring person.

After returning to day 1 (today) I can assure you that there's nothing exciting about drinking the way I drink. It's always the same and it's not ever been nearly as exciting or fulfilling as I recalled. It's actually pretty miserable.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

MemphisBlues, thank you for your thoughts. I guess I do need to look at this new boredom as freedom and serenity.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anchorbird View Post
Maybe this is me just missing that initial buzz, the warmth, the relaxation brought on by a drink.
It's all a lie!!! Don't believe it for a second!

Congratulations on 26 days. That is a wonderful accomplishment!!!
Old 11-08-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

For me, almost every single return to drinking was proceeded by the thinking that I was missing something by being sober. And whatever I thought I was missing, it was never the chaos, pain, despair, or drudgery of being an everyday drinker.

Being three years sober, I know now that everything I thought I was missing out on, I've found in my recovery.

I hope you find it too.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Anchor bird. Im on day 4 and have no intention of drinking. Read my post from a few days ago and u will see why. I managed 40 days or so before this attempt and was like u, thinking it was boring. Before then I did numerous attempts including a 69 day stint. This all changed as of Monday night when I lost my mind and could of easily died. The warm buzz days have long gone and you cannot chase that feeling anymore as misery will surely follow now you're an addict. Sobriety is better than anything drink can bring. Hope u stay strong because just one drop will put you back to another long stint on the booze. Peace to you.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I guess the one thing I would perhaps be aware of is that you posted this on a Friday afternoon. I may be off the mark here so forgive me, but I wonder if that same thing you are calling boredom might feel differently on a Monday morning?
Old 11-08-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
I guess the one thing I would perhaps be aware of is that you posted this on a Friday afternoon. I may be off the mark here so forgive me, but I wonder if that same thing you are calling boredom might feel differently on a Monday morning?
Thank you Jaynie, you are probably right. I am thinking ahead to the weekend and am worried about all of the free time.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Drinking was my 'fun' for 20 years.
I think most of us have a period of readjustment.

Use you're imagination anchorbird - think of other things you'd like to do, or other things you're interested in.

If your life is boring, you're the only one who can fix that

D
Old 11-08-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My worst day being bored is far better than my best day being drunk.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

When i'm bored i play an instrument , sing , dance about , do the washing , clean the car , come to post to SR and see if i can say something to encourage someone , watch u-tube videos , go to the cinema , plan a supprise for someone , go meet a friend for coffee , read a book , write , draw , paint ,

I try not to think about drinking and what i'd be missing out on (hangovers, bad sleep, memory loss, black outs , pass outs , sweats ) or romanticising it

Bestwishes, m
Old 11-08-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

You know that "buzz or warmth" you describe is probably the release of endorphins. I found that I could get a very similar buzz by running. Running also really calms my anxiety. Just a thought.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
EndGame

It's difficult to recall exactly how I did it, but when I first got sober about thirty years ago, I filled my life with things I looked forward to -- including AA meetings -- and rarely experienced boredom. Fear, yes, but not boredom. And there were also plenty of times when I felt fearless, my thinking being somewhere along the lines of, no matter what I did, it couldn't be worse than all the terrible things I did to myself while drinking.

I was very young, and working and living in NYC, so there were plenty of options, and I rarely turned down an invitation to go somewhere or do something that didn't involve drinking. I didn't drink for the next twenty five years, and managed to cobble together a pretty amazing life.

Now, back for little more than two years, I'm pretty much back in the same place.

The one thing I wish I could give to people new to sobriety is what their lives can be if they continue to struggle through the first several months or more. The payoff can be enormous.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You can't think of what to do and I can't find enough hours in the day to do everything I want to do.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm only on day 3 and just keep on thinking how boring life is gonna be without alcohol. I'm going to do this for my family, but I am scared those exciting crazy times are gone forever. I'm gonna stay positive and believe what everybody on hear is saying though.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wow, your comment brings back memories from my treatment days. I clearly remember one of my counselors standing two feet in front of me DEMANDING that I explain my alternative behaviors. He lectured us on the absolute need to have some activity that we could use to replace the feelings we received from alcohol. At that moment, I was at a complete loss for ideas. I found my answer a few days later in the center's fitness center. I spent 30 minutes in a Tae Bo session physically destroying me. I remember panting, sweating, and almost crawling to the water bottle. It was exhilarating. I had never pushed myself like that before.

Since being out of treatment, I have done several different fitness programs that really challenge me. The excitement of watching others, feeling my body in motion, and the adrenalin rush are a great replacement for my old habits. It is just a suggestion you might want to try. It can relieve boredom, build excitement, and make your healthier at the same time.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I thought I was bored too in early sobriety. The truth was I'd never done much sober and had no idea how to do stuff sober. getting sober isn't just putting down the drink,it's learning how to live life sober.It's not easy at time but it's worth it. It is peace of mind and serenity that drinking can never bring

Drinking all the time because I never knew how to do anything else and thinking I was DOING something whereas inreality I was just drinking - THAT's boring
Old 11-13-2013, 01:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Get a hobby! Seriously, you need to stay stopped! I know full well that early in sobriety you feel bored and restless...this is normal. Don't ever worry about having too much time! 'Cause that's an illusion. Time is probably the most precious commodity we have, and we all have far less than we think. Someday, lying on your deathbed you will not wish there was less time.

Look at this "new time" as a gift. Learn to use it well.