Notices

Looking for new

Old 11-07-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for new

Well, I've come to realize I've battled with alcoholism for (depending who you ask) anywhere from 8 to 12 years. I've been on again off again with it, then finally last year after an incredibly over reactive emotional breakdown, I decided to go sober. I promised myself a year, figuring set a goal that's not outlandish and go from there. I've lost and gained friends along this path, most don't know how to handle my over all situation, so I figured coming to a forum like this, I might find people who may be in the same or like situation as myself.
To give a generalized background, I started drinking at the age of 12 when I saw a friend get shot. That lasted until I was about 15 when I met someone who helped me stop. Then at 16 I badly injured myself playing sports, and to fill the now huge void in activity, started drinking again. Major jumps in drinking came after my first car accident at 17, then my second accident at 19, then being medically discharged from the military. I wasn't too bad... well I guess I was, my average nightly consumption was anywhere from 3-6 beers, 7-10 triple shot rum and cokes, and 1-5 Irish car bombs (depending who I drank with) I got married at 22 and we drank together, so we somewhat mediated each other. Over a year ago my now ex husband and I started getting in a bad way, and the more my marriage crumbled, the more I drank. I moved back home with my family last September and to "celebrate" my older sister took me to Atlantic city, where after 2 bottles of Skye vodka and (from what I'm told) 8 or 9 shots, I stumbled to my hotel room and called my mother crying my eyes out, completely inconsolable, sent embarrassingly desperate text messages to my ex, and spent the rest of the night in the toilet. The next morning while battling the hangover to end all days, I decided to go sober, and haven't had a single ounce since. Since then I have bought myself a car, a house, got 2 full time jobs, and am returning to school.
Unfortunately for me, being 24, divorced, buying a house, and sober, I don't fit in with those my age, or even slightly older. My friends try, but whenever I'm stressed from mediation with my lawyer, or signing all the paperwork for the house and the contractors, they don't really understand, which I can't really blame them. So there you have it, hopefully this sounds familiar to someone
Old 11-07-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! And congrats on your sober time. I have no experience with any of the things you mentioned but wanted to welcome you to this very supportive site.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi! Congratulations on your sobriety! I appreciate your honesty about your past. That's one wicked last drunk... I'm guessing the memory of that has helped you get through a few 24 hours! I'd say you have really accomplished a lot at 24 years old and you should be proud of yourself. As to finding people who can relate... you'll find people here I am sure. I would recommend some local A.A. meetings as well where you could find some equal minded young people to share with. Good luck today and everyday!
Old 11-07-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, YoungandDone! This is a great place to find support and to help others. Glad you are here!
Old 11-07-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by YoungAndDone View Post
The next morning while battling the hangover to end all days, I decided to go sober, and haven't had a single ounce since. Since then I have bought myself a car, a house, got 2 full time jobs, and am returning to school.
Welcome YoungandDone! I am so glad you joined us!!

First, your story is incredibly inspiring. You are way ahead of your time!

It is not surprising you are now not clicking with some of your old friends. Sounds to me you are outgrowing them in a very good way!

Stick around here for a while. I am sure you will meet people with stories similar to yours.

My best to you!
Old 11-07-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi YoungAndDone

I know you'll find a lot of support and understanding here - welcome aboard!

D