Notices

6 months after withdrawal, still experiencing symptoms

Old 11-07-2013, 01:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
klt

6 months after withdrawal, still experiencing symptoms

Hi.

I started a thread this summer called "PAWS: cortisol, pounding heart, high bp, insomnia, etc.".

Long story short: Male, 31 years old, binge drinker for 7 years. Went through withdrawal back in May after a 2 day binge.

I experienced many uncomfortable symptoms, and I was absolutely miserable. I did read up about PAWS but for some reason I didn't feel it was applicable to me.

Since the withdrawal was so stressful and uncomfortable, and the symptoms lasting for so long, I suspected it may have triggered Graves disease (hyperthyroidism). The symptoms I was experiencing were very similar.

But I just got confirmation today from my doctor that I DON'T have hyperthyroidism nor Graves (ft3,ft4, tsh normal, antibody test negative).

So the only possible explanation that makes sense is that I'm actually going through PAWS.

My main symptoms right now are:

- Low mood, low motivation. Nothing excites me. I just feel blah. Possible depression.
- Anxiety. A feeling of uneasiness and a sensation of tightness in my stomach/chest. Feeling on edge.
- Some sleep issues. I have been taking lemon balm, which has helped some.

(I didn't have any of these problems before the withdrawal. I was feeling really good.)

Does anyone recognise these as PAWS symptoms? Can I expect to fully recover from this?

I have been sober for 6 months now, and since it was my first time going through withdrawal I'm a bit surprised at the possibility that it really could be PAWS still lingering.

My doctor has offered me Zoloft, but I'm extremely reluctant to take it.

Any insights?

Thanks.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It could be that your brain is still adjusting to being sober, or it could be that your going through a mentally challenging time unrelated to the booze.

If you are apprehensive about the zoloft, why not have a read up on some holistic stuff...change of diet can sometimes be key in uplift of mood and sorting out sleep and anxiety. I used to be on a lot of medication and now I control a lot of it with a good diet and herbal tea. Obviously speak to your doc before starting any herbal supplements.

If that doesn't work, why not give the zoloft a try. Might help, might not.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It does sound like classic depression. Depression is bio-chemical so will power alone is not going to solve it. Why are you reluctant to take the meds from your doctor?
Old 11-07-2013, 02:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi again klt

sorry things seem much the same.

I was often like that in my first year tho, I often thought that a grey life would be the price I paid for recovery.

Getting involved in community volunteering helped me. It gave me meaning and purpose and made me feel better about myself, as well as a reason to leave the house.

Could that be something you'd be interested in?

D
Old 11-07-2013, 03:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
totfit

Sounds like the "human condition". I find the best way to get out of this is to get outside myself, exercise, eat right and focus on other things. I think we ofter get too analytical about ourselves, when in fact what we are experiencing is just normal. I do know that if it were not for healthy doses of exercise and trying to eat properly, I would have to be on some type of medication for anxiety. Otherwise I am doing well and find that I can make benefit of the "edge" the anxiety gives me from time to time. While I most certainly don't discount PAWS, I do think that we over label most everything when are experiences are just a bit of this and a bit of that and really are just the way we are for better or worse. I just try and focus on other things than myself, but still keep a healthy self-awareness.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Could be PAWS. Could also be depression. I take Zoloft for my depression and it has helped me a lot.

What about counseling? I see a counselor and that also has helped me.