Notices

Relationships and Recovery

Old 11-05-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relationships and Recovery

When is a good time to begin dating after becoming sober? I know people tell you to wait, but how long? At times my loneliness seems to get the best of me, and all I wanna do is cuddle up with someone. Any advice in this situation?
Old 11-05-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by AMARY View Post
When is a good time to begin dating after becoming sober? I know people tell you to wait, but how long? At times my loneliness seems to get the best of me, and all I wanna do is cuddle up with someone. Any advice in this situation?
I think that it is important that you are comfortable with yourself, as a sober person, before you think about a relationship (a romantic one). I don't know about a time limit. As long as it takes, I guess.

Longer if you have a track record of getting into disfunctional relationships. Or if alcohol was a component of your social life.

As for loneliness, what about forging lasting sober friendships?
Old 11-05-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was actually a completely different person at two years of sobriety than I was when I had just stopped drinking. I felt it was best to wait and figure out who I was before I tried to date. The relationship with myself was the most important thing, and I needed to figure that one out.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It depends on how long you've been sober and how comfortable you are with being sober. Just remember to keep your sobriety as priority number one.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As nice as it is to cuddle up with someone, keep in mind that romantic relationships by nature are loaded with emotional turmoil. Are you confident enough in your sobriety that a broken heart wouldn't lead you back to drinking? I think it is also useful to examine your past relationships and how they may have contributed to or have been a trigger of your use.

I had the same thoughts as you early on, but my recovery started when an 8 year relationship ended and I barely remembered what it was like to be single. I have 11 months now, and I still do not feel like a relationship would be a good idea. At this stage, I continue learning new things about myself every day.

I believe that many addicts/alcoholics are codependent to a large degree and we get as addicted to attention from others as we do our DOC. We need to be careful with trying to fill a perceived void with romance in an attempt to deal with the loss of alcohol and drugs as a coping mechanism.

In short, only you will know when you are ready but I agree that you must first get to the point in your recovery where you love yourself again before you can effectively love another.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for the great advice, these were things I really needed to here.