Notices

They want me to inpatient detox

Old 11-05-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

They want me to inpatient detox

Thought my doctor could prescribe some stuff and I could sweat it out at home. He sent me to Adcare Hospital for an intake for their outpatient program.
They said due to the length of time and the amount I drink, I would have to be in the hospital 3-5 days to safely detox. This really sucks. Not sure what I'm going to do now. Anyone else detox inpatient? Thanks
Old 11-05-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Change your thinking.... It doesn't suck it gives you an opportunity to really come off all substances with the safety of modern medicine. It's 3-5 days you're guaranteed to not drink. It's 3-5 days that could give you decades more of living. It's 3-5 days you'd likely be drunk or hungover! Give yourself those 3-5 days it might mean a new lifetime!

Good luck, God speed!
Old 11-05-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yea, do it, it will help more than you realize.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Me -Yes 5 times. Don't even worry about it. They usually are very compassionate people at the detox. You'll just be around a few more alcoholics going through the same thing.

They will give you some meds to help ease the withdrawals. You'll get to watch TV, probably sleep your first day. 3 meals a day. They will probably brings AA meetings into the detox so You will get a taste of how AA works.

Bring some nice warm comfy clothes. It will be chilly in there. Slippers.Everyone usually wears sweats. Bring unopened packs of cigarettes. They will check thru your suitcase. It is pretty laid back, not even something to worry about.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I went to inpatient detox by accident and after they saved my life I went directly to inpatient rehab.
Words cannot express how grateful I am.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Looks like you have 2 choices - keep drinking or follow their advice. Do you want to stop drinking? What sucks is how we abuse our bodies over the years, not the chance to get better in a safe environment.

It certainly seems scary, and your alcoholic mind thinks it sucks because you don't get to drink anymore. But detox is a safe place for you to do just that - and have others there to help you out. Getting sober is not easy no matter where you do it, but it is worth it many times over. A little pain now, a much better life later.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

If you had some other condition which required hospitalization like appendicitis, you would do it right? The appendix can burst and it is a potentially lethal situation which needs to be addressed. Think of your alcoholism the same way. Deeker and the others gave some great tips. Brings some ear plugs and a couple of good books too, some patients can be a bit loud and not everyone has the best taste when it comes to TV programs.
Hey, your liver worked hard it deserves a vacation (hopefully a permanent one).
Old 11-05-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good advice. Thank you. Hope you are doing well today.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
If you had some other condition which required hospitalization like appendicitis, you would do it right? The appendix can burst and it is a potentially lethal situation which needs to be addressed. Think of your alcoholism the same way. Deeker and the others gave some great tips. Brings some ear plugs and a couple of good books too, some patients can be a bit loud and not everyone has the best taste when it comes to TV programs.
Hey, your liver worked hard it deserves a vacation (hopefully a permanent one).
Oh ear plugs yes don't forget the ear plugs lol I mean it, I never go anywhere without my ear plugs. But I did forget them when I went there.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Did it several times. Highly recommended.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wish I'd had that opportunity Vedette - seriously.
Do it

D
Old 11-05-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think it's a luxury to have an inpatient detox. I have never had one but I'll assume that you will have a lot of attention, it will probably be less painful and probably be much safer than doing it at home.

The only negative that I can think of are potential costs and the opportunity to have pain so permanently burned in your mind from a home detox.

I would go. I wouldn't even think twice about it.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Trust me, you will be glad to know there are medical people available if you need them. Detox can be fatal.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wish I had done that, too.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

medical detox sure beats the heck out of staying up all night and jittery for three days wondering if you are gonna have a seizure or not. yeah, take the detox and listen to the people who want to help you.

and good luck and good riddance to this pesky addiction!
Old 11-05-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
GhostDogg

Getting sober is not easy no matter where you do it (plus 1)
Old 11-05-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by GhostDogg View Post
Getting sober is not easy no matter where you do it (plus 1)
But it's worth it
Old 11-05-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Did it - like an idiot I checked myself out earlier - I just couldn't handle relinquishing control of my life to someone else. Wish I had finished the entire 5 days - and subsequent outpatient plan. They are medical/psychiatric PROFESSIONALS - of course I KNEW everything. So then did it the hard way. My pride was hindering my recovery and I ended up relapsing. Give it a whirl what do you have to lose? Seems you have a lot to gain?
Old 11-05-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Detox isn't something to be played with. It can be very dangerous if you do it at home.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Personally, I would go for the inpatient option, reason being, even if nothing too bad would happen when I was withdrawing, i'd always convince myself that it was about to. Having someone there who is trained to discuss fears with etc, would be a God-send.
Luckily, nothing bad ever did happen and I don't plan on ever drinking again, so it's not likely to now.
Take the pressure off yourself - go for the inpatient option Xx