Notices

How to Stop the Craving

Old 11-05-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to Stop the Craving

After almost 4 days of no alcohol, yesterday I had wine again. And of course, it's not just 2-3 glasses, it's the whole bottle! Ugh, so mad at myself! Especially since last week it took me two whole days to recover after drinking too much and I told myself I wouldn't do it again, but of course, as soon as I felt back to my old self, then I started wanting to have a drink again. I"m not even sure why. It's like I"m so used to my "routine" of having a drink while I"m making dinner, then when dinnertime is done, then I still want to have more. Please tell me that it gets better and the cravings for the alcohol will go away because this cycle is harder than I thought to stop.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Hi Newgirl.

I'm a 1969-er as well.

Yes, it does absolutely get better. Yes, the cravings get easier. Yes, it takes work.

This was me in June. And I am so far away from this woman now I barely recognize here anymore.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...night-lot.html

Stick close to here. You will be forever changed.

XO AO
Old 11-05-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Once you get some time without drinking the cravings slowly go away.
For me,after 1 week I was already getting a handle on it.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

They do go away, I promise. I dealt with my cravings by kind of breathing them in and then breathing them out, or letting them literally wash over me. I felt them and let them go. Whenever I tried to squash them they got worse. So I think it is better to acknowledge them, say "no" and give yourself a huge pat on the back and then move on to do something to take your mind off it.

Good luck. You really can do this and it is so so worth it. Be strong and good luck to you.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks so much. It' weird, sometimes I feel like I have the urge to drink too simply because I"m bored and drinking the alcohol makes things more exciting. Does that make sense? I mean, I don't need constant excitement, but it's like the alcohol just gives me something to look forward to at the end of the day. My problem is, I just don't know when to stop. And it's so dumb too because I had such a bad hangover last week that took two days to completely go away and I swore I would never do that to myself again and yet, last night I had more than I should have, AGAIN! Never knew it would be this hard.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Keep persevering. It doesn't matter that you had a slip last night. Congratulate yourself that you are back on track and keep writing your thoughts here. That really helps.

Boredom is one of the things I really recognise. I thought I would be bored at social events and I also thought that I would be boring. I am sometimes bored at social events, especially if the people around me are slurring their words and repeating themselves! And actually I am much funnier and much more interesting sober - which makes me like myself more. No drunk is interesting and now when I find the drinkers around me dull I feel slightly amazed at how interesting I used to find them!

I would never give up how I feel about myself now. So keep trying and you will definitely make it in the end. The first week is hard and then each week gets easier.

In my normal life I am never bored and I do so much more than I used to. Life is full of wonderful things.

"Traveller, there are no paths. Paths are made by walking."
Old 11-05-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

New girl, I have a similar drinking pattern, and also get cravings at dinnertime. I seem to be falling into serial relapses or slips. But when I have had weeks or months sober, it does get easier. I just fast back into the trap of trying to moderate. Not anymore.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are some great tips here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

support really helps too. Using this place daily really helped me

D
Old 11-05-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The longer you're sober, the less you'll feel cravings. They get fainter and fainter until you won't notice them at all. But you've got to stay sober.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Newgirl - I am a 1969 baby too. You described me to a tee in your initial post. I am on day 5 now and am getting cravings. I am trying to stave off my addict thoughts by not thinking about the fun of that first glass but the inevitable blackout and hangover and physical sickness that "1 glass" actually means. Being truthful with myself that I can never and will never be satisfied with one glass. My drinking is 1 glass of wine turns into 1 or 2 bottles every single time. As soon as the alcohol gets into my body I lose all control of my intake. I drink until I pass out. The buzz is just never enough. I have to reach higher and higher until I am unconscious. I am a nighttime drinker, too. I don't have that big of a problem during the day except for having to fight off thoughts of planning my nights, which used to include lots of wine. I would start drinking about 8pm or 9pm and keep going until I collapsed. This was a few days a week, partly because I was too sick and recovering from the binges on the other days. I too swore every single time that I was not going to do this again, but after a few days off I couldn't wait to get my wine. I realized a long time ago that the buzz I used to get 10 years ago was fun, but now it is good for about 15 minutes and then horrible for days. The scales have tipped and it is time to either continue drinking like this and eventually dying from the abuse, or stop. Stopping sounds like much more fun. Just focus on getting to bed sober each day. You will thank yourself in the morning, I promise.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The cravings are worse if you keep giving up and then taking it up again. You have to stay off the stuff, go through the initial "pain" and then all will be well. Of course you have cravings, alcohol is a "drug" to which you are addicted.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

At 4 and ½ months I haven't noticed a craving in maybe a month. It gets better and the cravings weaker and weaker. Haven't regretted getting sober one second.

Stuff that has helped with cravings especially in the beginning was actively reading/posting here on SR. It is an excellent reminder what is taking place and that you're not alone with the problem. Then of course avoiding people who drink and places where alcohol is served, to minimize triggers for cravings.

Journaling is one thing that has also been useful.
Then Lucid dreaming as well if you're interested in that. I recommend it.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am newly sober as well, 7 days today...
I one time confided in my mom that it was really difficult to cut out something you've bene using as your coping skill for so long... she responded that when she quit smoking she was shaking, pacing around, having cigarette dreams, etc... and that it was SO painful that all she kept saying to herself was "I do not want to do this again."
Long story short, I agree with Gaudi, and would say that when it gets really rough just remind yourself "I do NOT want to have to go through this again. I do NOT want to have to start over again."
This time, make those difficult times and cravings the last.