Notices

Drinking perfume

Old 11-05-2013, 12:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking perfume

How did you stop without rehab? I'm a mom of 3, living a "perfect" life from the outside. I can't stop drinking though. No matter how hard I try. I promised my husband I would stop as he was on the verge of wanting a divorce, I stopped for a week and started again. Hiding bottles everywhere. I can't go to rehab cause I'm a full time mom of 3 kids, my youngest is 2. I'm fine all day but once they are in bed, I need that high. I have been trying to stop since May. Have to been to over 100 AA meetings but kept drinking. Even after meetings. I don't know what to do. I want to stop, but it's like I need that high.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

are you actually drinking perfume?
Old 11-05-2013, 12:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keep coming back here, rasp.....it sounds like you're getting desperate enough to REALLY want to quit. We're here for you....
Old 11-05-2013, 01:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sweetraspberry:
Sounds like you're going to end up in a rehab whether or not you want to unless you manage to get a handle on this thing. How about help from your sponsor, a counselor, your doctor. I found that I could not get into long term recovery (like 25 years) without help, particularly from other recovering alcoholics. Some say they can. I couldn't. Do it for your marriage, your kids but first and foremost, for yourself. Do keep posting. We care.

W.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi sweetraspberry

maybe it's time to talk to your Dr. If you're drinking perfume there's not telling what damage you're doing to yourself. You need to be around for those 3 kids of yours.

Maybe it's a good idea to plug yourself into SR for a while too - talk with people get some help, find out what your recovery options are?

One things for certain, and we both know it...you can't go on like this - something needs to change.

D
Old 11-05-2013, 02:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

welcome to SR
quitting is a tough gig but is doable- It helped me to get informed be objective about my capacity for self deception

I was in the process of being hollowed out
Old 11-05-2013, 02:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sweetraspberry

I know how you are feeling! My addiction was so bad that I was hiding bottles too. For me it was all or nothing. I would not be satisfied with 1-2 glasses of wine, I needed 2-3 bottles every day. I just stopped one day and never looked back.

Trust me its possible to quit for good.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah I came to the realization last week that I'll never be satisfied with 2 glasses of wine. I can do it some nights, but ill always be wanting more and before too long I'm on a 2 day bender. I guess I figure what's the point in trying to moderate anymore, it's too exhausting and I can't seem to get it to work for long. It's been a week sober and I feel so much better already. I don't have that same high in my life but already I seem to not be having those extreme lows either. I like how I've felt from day 3 on.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm a mom too and after many many years the blood pressure and health scare finally shook me up. I rid the house of alcohol (THAT was the scariest, hardest part of day 1) and made myself stay in. The first night was sooo restless and full of sweat soaked sheets and bed clothes- but the morning of day 2 I was in awe- I did day 1. I could do the rest. It didn't get eaier right away- sometime after day 5 relief really started to kick in and those immediate cravings waned, BUT I realized I could make it. Stay around and keep posting and WELCOME!
Old 11-05-2013, 03:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Sweetraspberry, I stopped drinking over a year ago because i was absolutely desperate to stop and it was impacting on my health. I tried to stop on and off before that but i wasn't really serious about it. It was only when i really wanted to quit drinking and i realized how much i had to lose that i found the courage and motivation to stop. Speaking to my doctor and having support in place was essential for me. I couldn't have done it on my own. This is also a great place for support and it's helped me a lot. I really think that anyone can stop if they are committed enough and are proactive with recovery. Wishing you the best.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sweetraspberry View Post

I can't stop drinking though. No matter how hard I try.

I promised my husband I would stop as he was on the verge of wanting a divorce
Welcome Sweetraspberry

I too agree with Dee, something needs to change. And, only you can bring about that change. You have to really, really want it though.

You must accept the fact that you have a serious problem. It is not going to go away all by itself. Please stop now and seek help.

No matter what, time is going to go by with or without you.

You will feel so much better once you start building momentum with consecutive sober days. You need to get through day one to get to day two. You need to get through day two to reach day 30 and so on and so on...

Your life sounds like it is on the brink of rapid downward spiral ...

You have already been put on warning by your husband. If you do not stop, then .... well .... I hope you stop.

Sober living is so much easier and a lot less stressful.

Please seek help and please stay here on SR and post often.

All my best
Old 11-05-2013, 04:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Some years ago, after an International rugby match between England and France in Paris, the English players were presented with gifts of aftershave. One of the England players, Maurice Colclough, went to the kitchen and refilled his bottle of aftershave with water. He then went back into the bar and bet another player, Colin Smart (who wasn't) that he could drink his aftershave. Smart accepted the challenge. Colclough downed his bottle of aftershave and the Smart did the same.

Smart had to be taken to hospital to get his stomach pumped, and remember this was a very big strong guy.

You really need to stop this and get some help.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I tried to do it on my own, I tried AA only (admittedly half a**ed) and ended up in rehab anyway. If you want to go to rehab, there is a way.

I can only say that AA has saved my life, but I had to hit a bottom. Only you know that bottom.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

give your kids to your mother, borther, sister, aunt, cousin, hussband

AND GET REHAB.

From first hand knowledge, there is always a way and your kids are paying for your drinking now anyway.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sweetraspberry View Post
I can't go to rehab cause I'm a full time mom of 3 kids, my youngest is 2.
Maybe turn that around ... "I have to go to rehab cause I'm a full time mom ..."

You have to do what you have to do to get on a path of recovery. This is serious.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If you do nothing then your husband may well carry out his threat of divorce and get custody of your children.Then you will have plenty of time for rehab.

Maybe you should make time for it now before the above happens. If you're away for a few week at least you'll come back sober and be able to be fully present for your children. I'm a mother and it was only when I got sober that I realized Iwas never fully present nor was I the best mother I could and should have been