Notices

replaced alcohol with coffee, cake and candy

Old 11-04-2013, 10:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

replaced alcohol with coffee, cake and candy

It's been 3 months since I quit drinking. In a way, eating lots of sweets and drinking LOTS of coffee seem to be taking over as it's helping to curb cravings... anybody else going/gone through this phase in early sobriety?
Old 11-04-2013, 10:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

carb cravings are common

I had heavy carb cravings for the first few days and it was really noticeable because I was eating an extremely low carb diet (except for the wine) for a couple of years before I started tapering down my alcohol consumption. I read that this is normal - your body is seeking out carbs to replace the alcohol carbs. The cravings passed pretty quickly.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm still going through this "phase" and I've been sober several months. Of course, I guess some might still consider that early sobriety. However, I know some people in my AA group who have been sober over 30 years and still have that eternal sweet tooth.

Honestly, before I ever started drinking, I had a horrible sweet tooth. My dad nicknamed me "Cookie" because I was always stealing freshly made cookies my mother baked and secretly eating them in my bedroom.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I always had a sweet tooth, even as a kid. Alcohol replaced that for years, then as I started to try and moderate my drinking the sweets came back into play. Part of my problem is simply sugar craving, no matter how I get it. I rarely drank to being drunk or sloppy but always had that difficulty stopping unless I ended the meal or the drinking with a sweet of some sort.

Conversely, I find that when I continue to indulge in sweets I am more vulnerable to alcohol cravings - one seems to reinforce, or substitute for the other. As a result I'm trying to cut all sugar and refined carbs out of my diet. Definitely not there yet though
Old 11-04-2013, 11:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh yeah big time. I went through the candy phase big time. I would grab a couple candy bars and a chocolate milk in the eve instead of my usual beer run. I still drink coffee but for a while did the redbull too but things have evened out and I don't go so crazy anymore. Keep it up and things will settle down and you'll start feeling better.
-Ted
Old 11-05-2013, 12:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm almost 2 months sober and am definitely in that stage full force right now! I've never had a sweet tooth, always a salt-craver. But now, chocolate and ice cream are something I almost eat daily! Also, I never liked coffee before now. You're not alone!
Old 11-05-2013, 12:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I feel like im hitting puberty all over again.

Constantly hungry...Good or Bad foods.

Its all good.

Thinking bout maybe trying to relax on the ice cream intake though.

DQ Blizzards something else right now....better than drinking.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm just over nine months and never had the sweet tooth, really, however I have my other addictions, such as video games. In a sense I too have replaced my habits before. I also have an electronic cigarette, which is in almost constant use. I suppose the important part is my life is now manageable and I have the power of choice today, which I didn't have much of before.

I will say that for the first few months ice cream was almost a necessity. I took ice cream and put it in a blender with milk and random stuff and made milkshakes. For instance, rocky road and bananas make a really good shake

Last edited by StevenT; 11-05-2013 at 12:54 AM. Reason: addition
Old 11-05-2013, 02:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

jmbrandon87

Well done! 3 months is a huge achievement. I used to eat sweets and cakes too, coffee in unlimited amounts. Usually 5 a day. One day I just decided not to eat any more sweets, switched to peanut butter and jam. Im not craving any sweets.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Seriously, I NEVER used to eat anything sweet, maybe a pint of ice cream a year, now that I'm on day 7 I can't believe how much soda and I've cream I consumed last week!!!! Oh well, better 6 coke zeros and 2 pints of ice cream than a bottle of Smirnoff. But yeah cookies and cream has been taking over my life this week!!
Old 11-05-2013, 03:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, Chocolate rules..but it beats alcohol any day.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was always a big coffee drinker, now even more so.
It's almost like with alcohol, now I find I am switching to the stronger more flavorful brews. Trying and sampling different coffee's the way I sampled different craft brews.

Oh well, at least coffee is calorie free and the sweet tooth has stayed away.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This is my 5th or 6th attempt and I am only day 12, but yes every time I have quit, the coffee and sweets definitely come into play. Especially the sweets! I probably ate more candy than some kids this Halloween! I drink coffee consistently regardless, but oddly sweets don't tend to appeal to me if I am engaged in active alcoholism. Guess it's no coincidence many AA meetings are stocked with free coffee and candy.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Around 90 days myself. It's cereal for me. That is my hankering! Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Halloween was good to me. Several bags of candy. Not to mention the gallons of chocolate milk, and now it's 'Egg Nog season.' And, oh for the caffeine. Rockstars. And liquid caffeine enhancers. Anything but anything beats that nasty bottle of booze though, so I'll take the sugar and the caffeine.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes, this is totally me!!! I am 35 days sober and have never had a sweet tooth. I now seem to live off of coffee and HAVE to have butter pecan ice cream every night. My recovery counselor told me that this is very common, especially since I was a wine drinker which has a ton of sugar in it so my body still wants the sugar and is not getting it from the booze.

I am going with it for now since it seems to keep my drinking cravings more under control, but hoping it doesn't last forever otherwise I may become 300lbs
Old 11-05-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My RAH's drink of choice was blackberry brandy (sugary, sugary sweet). He's about 4 months sober now and in that time has taken to eating 1/2 to 1 pint of Ben and Jerry's every single evening. And HE IS LOSING WEIGHT!!!

Amazing. I'll gladly fund the ice cream habit if it helps him stay sober, and it seems to....
Old 11-05-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

i never had a sweet tooth either. i am a month sober and eating sweets like you wouldn't believe.

i mean, it's not MY fault if someone brings jaffa cakes to a meeting, is it?
Old 11-05-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

People ask me if I lost weight after I quit. That's good for a laugh. Between the increase in sweets and the fact that I was eating again I put on a lot of weight. Much needed weight too.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ippochick View Post
i never had a sweet tooth either. i am a month sober and eating sweets like you wouldn't believe.

i mean, it's not MY fault if someone brings jaffa cakes to a meeting, is it?
Please tell me more about these Java cakes"
Old 10-11-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yes I'm only on day 3 and previously done 9 days and 8 days and always crave sugar (mainly chocolate and cake) and bread!