Notices

Sick & Tired of being Sick & Tired

Old 11-04-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sick & Tired of being Sick & Tired

Hello Everyone,

I spent a few hours reading the stories of others and thought I would sign up and post my own story. I am a binge drinker. I can go a few weeks without any drinking. I then tell myself I have earned the 'right' to have one or two. I then invariably proceed on a 2 or 3 day binge where I am basically drunk the entire time I am awake. I wake up on Monday and say enough! I then swear off for a few weeks, and repeat the process I just described. This process has been the story of my life for a few years now. No DUIs, lost jobs, or anything like that. But a complete inability to control my drinking when I do drink. No question about that. I read some others describe it as they became sick & tired of being sick & tired. I think that pretty much sums up things for me.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found us and are ready to stop drinking.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! You've come to a great place for support in stopping drinking. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Ibis, this is a really great place for support. Glad you have joined us. Best wishes.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.

I drank like that. Exactly, actualy. For may years, too. Since alcoholism is progressive, I soon was at it almost every day.
The psychic torture I put myself in is still in my mind after two years ten months sober. This is what helps keep me sober, remembering the nightmare that was my life.
That, and the knowledge that I can not have one drink. Never have. It's all in for me, and once I start drinking there is no telling where it'll end.

It's not how often we drink, although that is a big part, it's how alcohol effects us once we do drink. It turned me into a knee-walking, nose puking drunk. It almost took my life. I won't go into the gory details.

Just know you're not alone. I've been where you are and can relate completely.
It's great to have you here and I hope you find some support. Many of us have stopped drinking in different ways.

Best to you.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ibis, welcome!! I put my first post on here 4 days ago. I am a binge drinker as well. Once I tell myself I'll just have a nice glass of wine, that always ends up in a couple of bottles gone. I will go a day or so without drinking and then start to feel great and that is when I tell myself I can afford to have a drink now that I have done so well not drinking for a couple of days. As if it is some kind of reward to poison myself! I get into trouble when I start to feel good because that is when my little addict voice tries to tell me that "I am crazy for thinking I am an alcoholic," "I've got it all wrong," "I'm overreacting,"...then of course I plow down a couple of bottles and lose a day or two trying to feel better again. That is sickness. I am on and off SR all day long. It has been very helpful to hear others describe their situations as if they are reading my mind. Welcome and Stay Strong!
Old 11-04-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ibis, are you a young man in your twenties? If so this type of behaviour is quite common but tends to wean away into our thirties. I'm in my late twenties and have not been able to tone it down so I'm quitting, only on day two. Good luck.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sorensen, I am actually not a young man anymore (I am 50 years old, turning 51 in a few weeks). I appreciate everyone's observations. Nice to know I am not alone. I also agree this is a progressive disease. I have basically been a weekend drunk for a long, long time. It started like many others I am sure. Beers after work Friday, drinks at a game Saturday, etc. I then started planning my week around my drinking, and I got pretty damn good at it (probably in this pattern for about 20 years). Now it has progressed to a point where I get stupid drunk, and easily. It is embarrassing, and I know it but still do it. I have stepped up and admitted I have a problem, and I greatly appreciate hearing from others and your insights. My pattern is so tied to weekends that I have no concern about drinking during the week (I don't). My test is the weekends, and I am drawing strength from your postings and appreciate it. Thank you.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ibis View Post
Hello Everyone,

I spent a few hours reading the stories of others and thought I would sign up and post my own story. I am a binge drinker. I can go a few weeks without any drinking. I then tell myself I have earned the 'right' to have one or two. I then invariably proceed on a 2 or 3 day binge where I am basically drunk the entire time I am awake. I wake up on Monday and say enough! I then swear off for a few weeks, and repeat the process I just described. This process has been the story of my life for a few years now. No DUIs, lost jobs, or anything like that. But a complete inability to control my drinking when I do drink. No question about that. I read some others describe it as they became sick & tired of being sick & tired. I think that pretty much sums up things for me.
This pretty much describes me to a "T". I've drank this way since I was a teenager. I just have a higher tolerance now and usually end up falling asleep before I get too drunk.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Ibis

I don;t think ti's ever to late to change our lives for the better - good to have you here

D
Old 11-05-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My style was binge-drinking *without* the breaks in between. I was basically inebriated around the clock for about five years. I live in a happy-hour intensive area, and when I dried out, I realized that the thought of drinking was fairly repulsive now (I'm 53, and my body was NOT happy). I had just fallen into a terrible habit of hitting happy hours around here -- you can walk everywhere -- where I knew everybody in the neighborhood. And then we would all roam around from bar to bar after HH was over.

One day, I walked by an beach bar where they were all hanging out. They'd gotten an early start, I was stone-cold sober, and I must say the conversation was remarkably dull. Over time I just didn't want to spend time with these guys anymore. I could see how much better/healthier I'd feel, how much thinner and attractive I could be, how much more productive, and that I'd really rather hang out with a better, more interesting group.

Fortunately, this realization came just at the moment I got a surprising career breakthrough that will go a lot better with a clear head. It sounds like you may be in a similar place, where you organically want something better and it's obvious how to get there. Habits are hard to break! But the "sick and tired" statement makes me think you're naturally drawn now to clarity (which I like better than "sobriety" -- which always makes me think of a parade of somber monks or something)!

Maybe you can come up with a plan for what to do next time a binge cycle rears its head. Can you enlist a friend to call, etc.? In the tools section of these forums, there is a list of "things to do instead of drinking..." Could you start doing some of these now, so that when the urge strikes you can go do one of those activities instead? Of course joining AA or another support group like SMART might be the best place to start!

Good luck, we're here for you!!!