Notices

Hi x

Old 11-04-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Hi x

Hi all...new to this site but seeking someone out there suffering like me today!
I've had 9months of alcohol 'independence' and 5months without a slip ..I don't ever remember a time in my life when I have not been dependent on alcohol or used it in order to dissociate ..so give or take months at a time this has gone on for nearly 40 years...
This past week has nearly destroyed me but I have been working intensely on changing my patterns of behaviour over the past year and throughout this difficult week I have been completely honest with myself and my support network and have chosen not to succumb ...but it's tough ...I've been receiving support from my husband and mental health care team but nothing specifically re alcohol dependence/recovery...are there recognised milestones when recovery may be more difficult? I feel like this has hit me out of the blue and am getting so many withdrawal symptoms again suddenly..night sweats, shakes, nausea, anxiety, cravings that pervade every thought throughout the day, etc, etc...
Is it normal for these to come and go I thought I was over that!! Am I being incredibly naive?
Anyway gonna take some time to investigate the site..thanks for reading...and take care x
Old 11-04-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Bea,

I do not know the answer to your question I am sure someone does.

But I am glad you joined us

Good you did not succumb.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

to SR Bea I'm a little confused - are you saying that it's 5 months since you had a drink or you had 5 months in the past?
Old 11-04-2013, 10:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry finding focus a little hard myself at moment...I stopped drinking 9months ago but had a social drink to test myself 5months ago ..this did not go down well for me and has not been repeated since...
I consider myself to be 9 months sober but I guess others might have their own take.....
Old 11-04-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome! I too am a bit confused. Are you drinking now or are you stopping and have withdrawals?
Old 11-04-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Bea - Thanks for the clarification. You have basically been sober for 9 months, had one drink 5 months ago, and now you: "feel like this has hit me out of the blue and am getting so many withdrawal symptoms again suddenly..night sweats, shakes, nausea, anxiety, cravings that pervade every thought throughout the day, etc, etc..."

Could it be the flu instead??
Old 11-04-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Bea, looking back I once had 9 months sober and started again after some cravings, wish I hadn't bothered but the alcoholic voice, convinced me I would be okay!!!
Now 3 weeks sober and determined that no matte what happens I will not pick up that first drink. Don't why you are getting all these symptoms now, hopefully someone will be able to explain, I applaud you for not succumbing x
Old 11-04-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Actually, I am not a doctor, but you could be suffering from PAWS. I am sure someone with more experience will stop by and share their thoughts ....
Old 11-04-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks, all...
Definitely not flu...
Yeh could be PAWS..long term and during first year of recovery indicators .. so thanks for that..
Stay strong ChrissieB...
Old 11-04-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Welcome, Bea, and congrats on your sobriety

I've just passed 9 months alcohol-free and I haven't had any major cravings, but I do still get night sweats from time to time and some shakiness, although I usually put that down to physical illness rather than alcohol withdrawal.

I do hope you feel better soon, but maybe see a doctor if not?
Old 11-04-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Bea
I'm 10 months now and still sometmes get night sweats , anxiety,nausea etc but don't think it's got anything to do with drinking withdrawsls. Think it's other illness or even stuff I've always had (anxiety)

I would suggest you see your doc. As for cravings ,maybe look at doing something extra/alternative for your recovery and ways of dealing with life's problems
Old 11-04-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can only say what my AH has told me in the past when he was clean for a year. He said that while it gets better, one has to remember that most alcoholics are self medicating an issue to start with and once you take the alcohol away you still have those same issues you have to deal with. So maybe you have anxiety or another underlying illness that is causing you to have these symptoms? Just a thought.

My hat is off to you, great success that you should be proud of. Don't give in to it!

God Bless!
Old 11-04-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

See if the Paws link rings any bells -
PAWS | Digital Dharma

but sometimes I get some of that stuff when I get run down - nausea, shaking, headaches, sweats fatigue - are you taking good care of yourself bea?

D
Old 11-04-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
jkb

Anxiety possibly? I get this when I get anxiety attacks in the middle of the night. Just a thought. After 9 months (and yeah I consider you 9 months sober)... I doubt it is alcohol related other than maybe PAWS.

Have you had a check-up?

Jess
Old 11-04-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you joined us.

Congrats on your sober time. I'd suggest if these symptoms persist that you go to your doctor for a check up.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kind comments..this is helping me immensely and I have used sites like this before with really positive results but mainly in a mental health aspect ..but hey recovery programmes really do work..I have for over a year been working on changing my behavioural patterns and thought patterns to combat my self harming behaviour..hence the sobriety..and it's the small changes ( such as looking for a forum instead of moving straight into bad behaviours and negative situations )that seem to bemakingthe most difference to me..I can really see what's has helped in the past and stick to that...
But it's so complicated and this is one part of my overall recovery..been reading up on PAWS and think that most likely with my patterns relating to alcohol..I have a lot of anxieties connected to PTSD, eating disorder and BPD and can pretty much specify which symptoms come from where now and this current 'bout' is most definitely alcohol related..
Yeh I should get a drs appt..I have a long term relationship with my GP concerning my health and he is very supportive but I have been a little circumspect in discussing this particular recovery and the aspect of alcohol.
I have been working for over five years on a serious life recovery plan formulated and supported from many different sources but always with underlying aspects of mindfulness and my 'epiphany date' is actually 27th January 2013 ...the date I realised that I could actually change my life around and make it work for me and I have never looked back..
Briefly ..I have disclosed many years of childhood sexual abuse and emotional torture and have removed these people from my life and done all I can regarding that to seek justice, I have identified my problems and have begun to name them (this has taken many months of confusing heartache and I only actually admitted to my eating disorder and alcoholism out loud last week even though I have been addressing my alcohol related problems for some time) I am actually in recovery from borderline personality disorder as my previous negative behaviours and coping strategies are all but replaced with more healthy ones and this becomes easier and more natural every time...I am in a good place now and every little thing I experience in my daily life means so much to me..I know for the first time since the age of six that I will never sever my life prematurely at my own hand...and this is such a wonderfully liberating knowledge...I hope in the future to also have the secure knowledge that I will no longer be seeking self harming activities such as abuse and dependence of alcohol.....
This morning I have some alcohol related anxieties but I also have a job interview (having been on sick for 5years) and I have been working regularly temp for the last few months..
This time last year I spent every day in bed with a bottle and drank and slept for months on end...
I am writing this (and I apologise if my style is confusing ..i totally get that!) just to say thanks to you all for helping me through a tough few hours last night and to let everyone know that there is hope out there ...alcoholism is in my experience a symptom of many underlying issues and often used in conjunction with many other self harming behaviours....once you decide to change and begin to see things differently building positive connections and patterns and eliminating the negatives from your life things can actually change and you can start living your life again...my life was written off by so many health professionals and members of my family but with the support of a selected few, my loving and extremely long suffering partner included, I was able to summon every reserve of the strength that got me this far in life and make that final push...
Now I'm working on my end game..acceptance and building this into my new life..But I've dealt with worse...
As you can tell even in times of suffering I am now mindful of the positives...this has taken a lot of practise but now comes more naturally... This morning I am In a different frame of mind and pushing on with my recovery..feeling proud I did not drink last night nor put myself into a situation in which I could so another small milestone further along the road...
This is my favourite quote..
“The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen.”
― Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I wish you all well....take time in nature to breathe in your true self...choose freedom....choose life...be mindful....be kind...x