Notices

Has anyone tried antabuse?

Old 11-04-2013, 02:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has anyone tried antabuse?

If so, how did you find it worked?
Old 11-04-2013, 02:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was on antabuse when I was in an Intensive Outpatient Program. It works only as a deterrent, it won't curb any desires you might have. We were on a fairly low dosage, and I never tried to drink while taking it, but some of my fellow patients did with predictable results (flushed face, nausea, etc.). If the dosage were higher, they would have become much more ill. If you're taking it on your own, with your doctor's orders, it's going to be entirely up to you how well it works. You can stop taking it and continue to drink as many have. Or you can drink while taking it and damn the results. Again, it's a deterrent, nothing more. How effective it can be is entirely up to the user.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I haven't been prescribed it, but considering it to "bullet proof" my sobriety.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It has helped a friend of mine stay sober when she wants to. Her cravings tend to overpower her in the evening. She is a high-functioning alcoholic who works during the day, and does not start her day with a drink. She takes a low dose of Antabuse in the morning so that she can't give into the urges at night, and it works perfectly. She hasn't noticed any side effects.

The problem, of course, is that you have to take it every day for it to continue to work. My friend has in the past planned her relapses - she will just stop taking it in advance of some event that she believes justifies her drinking. So far, she has been able to climb back on the wagon each time she got off, but she acknowledged to me the other day that it is getting harder to do that and she knows she has to stop for good.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Never tried it, but - like anything - it's not suitable for everyone so please do run it by your Dr, Old.

D
Old 11-04-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I found I could drink a bit while taking it. In any event, I soon began skipping the pills.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I took one pill on day one and day three. It stays in your system for 14 days - label says. My PCP prescribed it and I had taken it before when I tried to sober up 20yrs ago.

I was concerned with the labeling side effects - smelling gasoline could trigger according to the label, fear of alcohol in any food unknowingly. So I chose to do this without the drug. I guess I found it useful as a deterrent for the first week.

Sobriety is more about a mindset and spiritual awakening/enlightenment in my opinion. I look at Antebuse as a drug to keep you dry but to me that is a small part of this whole process. That said if it can help in the very beginning to give someone a drying out period to gain some clarity then I am supportive.

Check with your Doc though.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Im on it right now. Like others have said you have to want to take it. I keeps me honest with myself when I have the really bad cravings I know I cant drink. As for what they say about no vinegar, no mustard, etc. I find on the 250mg I can eat all these with no problems, your mileage may vary.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Know someone who has been on it, helped her to become sober. side effects was watching any alcohol take on it. Guess the strength will depend on the person.

This lady hasnt had any alcohol and been off it for over a year.

On the other stuff, i was on campral and i did help for the time i stopped craving.

There is other things u can take.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No experience of it, but curious about - why no vinegar or mustard?
Old 11-04-2013, 09:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm not sure what to do. I didn't drink for over 90 days and was feeling really strong and happy with my sobriety. I fell off the wagon a few weeks ago and got right back on and haven't drank since. I definitely learned from that "fall" and don't think I will repeat it. However, I know I wouldn't have even considered that first drink if I had a deterrent like Antabuse or similar.

I have an appt with my Doc next week to discuss Antabuse.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

you saying that, u did so well for so long.

You need to expect that no other person made u fall!

If u feel even after that many days u need something, then maybe u need to look at urself and think do i need a drug for it? there is other drugs but u have done so many months without, why do u think u need something now?

speak to ur doctor before u think u need this, due to this drug is sensitive of personal smells with alcohol.

good luck xx
Old 11-04-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Skye2 View Post
No experience of it, but curious about - why no vinegar or mustard?
This is how vinegar is made:

"The first process is called alcoholic fermentation and occurs when yeasts change natural sugars to alcohol under controlled conditions. In the second process, a group of bacteria (called “Acetobacter”) converts the alcohol portion to acid. This is the acetic, or acid fermentation, that forms vinegar."

It has alcohol in it but at such low levels I dont know why they say to stay away from it. And mustard has vinegar in it as do many foods.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

In one of my many tries to stop drinking I asked my doctor for Antabuse. I took it for a week, then gave myself 2 weeks to get it out of my system and then resumed my drinking. I wasn't really ready in my mind to give it up. I wanted to be forced to be sober, but that's not really how sobriety works for all people. I took a low dose and didn't notice any side effects at all. The thing with Antabuse is that it physically removes alcohol from your life by not giving you the choice to drink, which may be enough for some alcoholics to be successful at sobriety; however, in my case, my alcoholism is about the mental hold it has over me. I had to become ready both physically and mentally to be sober. I have to decide mentally every day not to drink and make choices every day that contribute to my sobriety.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

There is also a once a month shot available that uses the same chemicals as antabuse but is good for a month. It's called vivitrol. You just go to the Dr's once a month and get the shot. You might care to research it as well. That way, you don't have the option of skipping pills.

Personally, I have no experience with such.

But, they say alcoholism is a disease, so makes sense to try medicine to treat it. Seems like something you'd still want to combine with other recovery methods like SR.