Notices

What to do about old drug friends

Old 11-03-2013, 04:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to do about old drug friends

Hello,

My son will be entering a 90-day rehab program this week. One of the things I am most concerned about is 1 of his friends. This boy is very relentless about his friendship with my son, and we are so hoping he will develop sober friends while he is in rehab. My son is only going about 30 miles away, and although he is telling people he's moving out of state, I am worried this boy will find out where he is and try to contact my son. I know I have to let my son and rehab work out a plan to deal with this problem, and I will be encouraging my son to live at a sober living facility, but this "friend" has a very strong hold on my son. Is there anything I can do to help my son with this?
Old 11-03-2013, 04:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I say this kindly.....let him own his recovery. He is in good hands and they are working on a plan.

Letting go of control is hard, even when you have his best interests at heart. Rehab will help him to deal with those things, and only by mastering them on his own, will he succeed.

As hard as it is, you can't do this for him.

Sending you best wishes as a Mum, and may he be safe and well and this all works out for him.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was very easily led for a lot of years - I really wanted to be liked.

Eventually I realised I was selling myself short and being led into things I didn't want to do. I didn't like who I'd become so I got clean and sober and I changed.

I hope your son will make a similar discovery Helpkel

D
Old 11-03-2013, 04:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

As a parent with a daughter who battled an opiate addiction I understand where you're coming from. One of the hardest things to do is to let go and realize that you can't do this for them. When my daughter exited recovery I was concerned about her having contact with her old drug buddies. Just like in your situation there was one in particular and she was relentless in trying to contact my daughter. Even using guilt that she never got to see my daughters children.

There came a day when my daughter had to meet up with her for some reason and my hair stood on end. She said that she got to her apartment and walked in. Within a few minutes she knew that it was no place for her to be and that was the end of the friendship. What a huge sigh of relief. However, I couldn't make the decision for her, she had to go and see that for herself.

It's so hard on a parent, you'll find a great amount of support here on the friend's and family forum. Here's the link

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

I wish you the best
Old 11-03-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

We have a forum for friends and family of addicts too if your son was on drugs. I hope we can help you to come to terms that it is your son's recovery to deal with and only he can do this.