Notices

Hello everyone I'm new around here

Old 11-02-2013, 11:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello everyone I'm new around here

Well to keep it short I'm a 22 year old male and at my age group I'd be laughed at for reaching out to a place like this. I mean I'm in college it's expected that I drink and get wasted out of my mind on the regular. But I want to escape this whole mentality. I have mild aspergers syndrome(a form of autism) and while I don't appear abnormal to the average person inside I'm always in a battle with myself. I have my moments of severe anxiety and depression and I began to drink the summer of 2011. Drinking had become a relaxer of sorts, if I was in a social situation with my peers it became easier if I had a buzz going. Eventually a few beers evolved into a whole 12 pack in one night but what was concerning was a whole 12 pack started to not even phase me. I was told when I got to this level I had a problem but I paid no attention. I would start buying cheap box wine from Wal Mart and I would drink practically the whole box of it. Sometimes if I felt I didn't have enough of a buzz I would down some Listerine mouthwash to top it off. A few months ago while staying at an aunts I had a depression episode and I raided her wine collection. I've known many alcoholics in my time, my father has a buddy who is a "drunk" he will crack a beer the moment he wakes up in the morning. I don't want to throw my life away but it's hard sometimes. The warm calm feeling I get from drinking soothes the anxiety my mind produces. I don't want to wind up becoming dependent on this "medicine" I want to kill this before it even takes root on me.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Alan It's fantastic that you are dealing with this at such a young age !!
I also used alcohol as a stress reliever and then discovered it was making things even worse - there was even MORE to get stressed over.

You've found a brilliant support family here - and hugs to my homeland

Xx
Old 11-03-2013, 01:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR forestalan

you've found a great place - there a ton of understanding and support here.

I don't have aspergers but I can identify with many parts of your story - the drinking for self medication of anxiety, the progression of binge drinking, the sneaking drinks, the heavy drinking social scene...

you're among friends here

D
Old 11-03-2013, 01:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I'm glad you've found us and joined the family.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad to see that you are coming to such realizations at a young age. I not saying do this, that, or the other; just good to see a young person making such considerations.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am convinced university is where my bad drinking habits stated- and that was 15 years ago. I wish I had been wiser at a young age. Congratulations on making a change for the better and best wishes xxx
Old 11-03-2013, 01:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome forestalan. Glad you are here!
Old 11-03-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The fact that you recognize the situation so early tells me you are years ahead of your peers. I wish I could go back to the 22 year old me and talk to him. I could have saved him 25 years of misery...even if he wasn't going to realize it was misery for about 15 years. The best of luck to you!!!
Old 11-03-2013, 05:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad you are here!

You're wise to be pursuing sobriety at this point in your life. You'll find a lot insight/wisdom on these boards.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I appreciate the posts I've gotten so far. Well tonight I did have a few beers I'll admit but after tonight I am setting a goal to go for a whole month without drinking. If I can make a whole month then I plan to go on until this year is over. I spoke with my mother about it and she's supporting me all the way. I did research and there's a local church that has AA meetings of sorts every Monday night. I don't drink every night but just because I don't booze it up every single night doesn't mean I'm not on a dangerous slope. My friends father is a former alcoholic and his routine was he would binge drink once a month on a weekend and I've found I follow this habit. I have also found I do have an addictive personality it could be over alcohol or something small such as being a clean neat freak. Anyways I'm going to try and find a more positive "addiction" such as exercise and keeping a clear head. I will be posting on here as much as I can to keep an update on my progress. Thank you for the support everyone and wish me luck.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Drinking is an easy hole to fall in to, so be careful with it. It can really throw you off track without you even realizing it.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I wish you more than luck Forrestalan1.