Notices

At 42 days sober, first real temptation

Old 11-02-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

At 42 days sober, first real temptation

I've been pretty lucky so far. In early sobriety, I have not been in any social situations where drink has been involved, until tonight.

My sister-in-law had/is having (still going on) a Halloween/birthday party. I went earlier with my daughter for the kids party. People were already drinking, some I think were drunk when they arrived. Talking about drink. I had to tell this one chick that I don't drink because she tried getting me to, and one of my closest friends said, "maybe not today" and laughed. That pi$$ed me off. My sobriety is a big deal. I made a point to say that I had 42 days sober. Longer by 37 days since the one and only other time I've tried to become sober.

I just felt really awkward. That same friend chastising her husband, telling him to take it easy. All I kept thinking is that he is an alcoholic, he can't take it easy. I've seen him over the edge probably 50 times, and tonight will be the same thing. All or nothing, there is no in-between.

I couldn't wait to get out of there. I may seem like a party pooper, but I was not enjoying myself. I would've been a babysitter had I stayed because I could just tell there would be a lot of people tanked.

It makes me wonder if this is how every social function I attend is going to be like? I live in Wisconsin, we are heavy drinkers. I don't remember a single function I've ever been to where the drink wasn't flowing heavily. I don't like it.

I may have to move
Old 11-02-2013, 07:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found social occasions get easier - but it's true I don't go to many now.
I found out I just liked parties for the excuse to drink.

D
Old 11-02-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think I might be in the same corner Dee. I'm sure I would have been having fun had I been drinking it up with the rest, but to what end? *shudders*
Old 11-02-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Swashbuckler

Guide to Galaxy

Douglas Adams might have been right, and "42" may be the answer.

I read somewhere, perhaps in Beyond the Influence: Understanding and Defeating Alcoholism by Katherine Ketcham (I can't recommend that book enough) but am not quite sure that was the source, that 42 days are a kind of threshold to cross - the mind seems to starts calming down, and the recovery enters its new phase.

Anyway, good luck!!

Old 11-02-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Correy, I hope you're right. 42 days is 6 weeks, so I've been through all the day to day stuff that I used as an excuse to drink. Weekends aren't a problem anymore. I think I just have to learn how to deal with social situations, even if it means avoiding them for awhile. I'm ok with that. I've got SR