Notices

The Saturday night concert......

Old 11-02-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Saturday night concert......

Every Saturday night, from 6 to 10 pm the neighbor sits outside with his Boombox full blast and plays the greats.....Kiss, Ozzy, sometimes Fleetwood, Bob Marley's Legend and Abba. Beers are consumed in mass quantity during these episodes. Lily (girl kitty) enjoyed Abba last weekend. Maximillon's (boy kitty) ears turn back so that he looks like an Owl. I am thinking Max's preference in music is somewhere along the lines of Frank Sinatra or cool Jazz. My preference is somewhere along the lines of being able to hear myself think, or hear the movie that I am watching. It is entertaining yet becomes almost on the verge of annoying. In any case, this is every Saturday.
My room offers a slight reprieve from the concert. This is where Max, Lily, and I have found ourselves this evening. How is everyone else doing on Saturday Night?
Old 11-02-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great way to paint a picture with words - I can see exactly what you're talking about by reading the post. Wonderful description!

I'm listening to some drunk neighbors as well right now - they're on the porch in the apartment next door. Not too loud, in fact I can only hear it when they raise their voices (which is loud enough for me to tell they're wasted). No harm, no foul, I guess. Part of living in the big city. I have the windows open just a crack, I can hear the traffic on the main drag nearby. 9:00pm on a Saturday and there are cabs, buses, and people out in full force. I actually like hearing traffic when I go to bed, I've always been able to hear trains, cars, buses after dark and it's soothing to me. As for myself, watching a Chicago Bulls game on TV and some re-runs from Season 6 of "The Office". Finished up a little extra project for work that will come in handy when I check in Monday morning.

Looking forward to Daylight Savings and the NFL tomorrow - don't forget to set your clocks back!
Old 11-02-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awwww, sorry for the situation, but you made me laugh when described "preferences!" Poor Max!

Very low key at my house this Saturday night-- we're all in bed already! Husband is snoring (that would be MY concert!) and I'm surfing/reading on my iPad.

Hope the music quiets down soon! Enjoy your night!
Old 11-02-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Great way to paint a picture with words - I can see exactly what you're talking about by reading the post. Wonderful description!

I'm listening to some drunk neighbors as well right now - they're on the porch in the apartment next door. Not too loud, in fact I can only hear it when they raise their voices (which is loud enough for me to tell they're wasted). No harm, no foul, I guess. Part of living in the big city. I have the windows open just a crack, I can hear the traffic on the main drag nearby. 9:00pm on a Saturday and there are cabs, buses, and people out in full force. I actually like hearing traffic when I go to bed, I've always been able to hear trains, cars, buses after dark and it's soothing to me. As for myself, watching a Chicago Bulls game on TV and some re-runs from Season 6 of "The Office". Finished up a little extra project for work that will come in handy when I check in Monday morning.

Looking forward to Daylight Savings and the NFL tomorrow - don't forget to set your clocks back!
Check. The clocks will be set back. I have never watched the office. I am at the end of Breaking Bad (not sure why I am watching anything about chemists and meth sales?) I have a few more episodes left until I have to find some other interest.
Led Zeppelin got back together. They are currently playing outside the door. Ha!
Old 11-02-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

LOL Mizzuno, great descriptions!

If we were in that neighborhood my husband would go outside with the loudest speakers he could find and start playing Pantera or Opeth. You know, the death metal cookie monster vocals music. He would make sure that he was as much of an annoyance as they are.

I'll never forget when we first moved into our house. We had some friends over and he decided to take off the party mix that he usually plays and put Opeth on. One of his friends wives came to me and said "what is he plaaaaaaaaaying, make him stop, that sounds creepy like devil music". I laughed because I'm used to it. I told her he probably wouldn't keep it on for long. When another guest came and asked the same I went down into the party room and explained that we had guests and it appeared that some were getting offended. He took it off after the song ended and put on Creedence Clearwater Revival. I died laughing when one of his friends looked at me and said "I never thought I'd find CCR to be so uplifting!"

No one should play music so loud as to be annoying. I can send my husband over to teach them a lesson lol.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cathryn2001 View Post
Awwww, sorry for the situation, but you made me laugh when described "preferences!" Poor Max!

Very low key at my house this Saturday night-- we're all in bed already! Husband is snoring (that would be MY concert!) and I'm surfing/reading on my iPad.

Hope the music quiets down soon! Enjoy your night!
I actually discovered that Max really digs the flute. I was watching a documentary on Native American Indian children in boarding school (for class and gut wrenching) Anyways- Max was all about the flute. So, I may play this for him tomorrow.

It sounds like you are doing wholesome things. Hopefully the husband doesnt start snoring anytime soon. You rock! Keep on Keepin on!
Old 11-02-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
LOL Mizzuno, great descriptions!

If we were in that neighborhood my husband would go outside with the loudest speakers he could find and start playing Pantera or Opeth. You know, the death metal cookie monster vocals music. He would make sure that he was as much of an annoyance as they are.

I'll never forget when we first moved into our house. We had some friends over and he decided to take off the party mix that he usually plays and put Opeth on. One of his friends wives came to me and said "what is he plaaaaaaaaaying, make him stop, that sounds creepy like devil music". I laughed because I'm used to it. I told her he probably wouldn't keep it on for long. When another guest came and asked the same I went down into the party room and explained that we had guests and it appeared that some were getting offended. He took it off after the song ended and put on Creedence Clearwater Revival. I died laughing when one of his friends looked at me and said "I never thought I'd find CCR to be so uplifting!"

No one should play music so loud as to be annoying. I can send my husband over to teach them a lesson lol.
Ha! My brother and his heavy metal. I do understand completely.
I did have this idea to sit outside and play Andrea Bocelli as loud as possible. Then I just thought that this guy is doing his thing and really is not harming anyone. .....I mean, I now know all of the greatest hits by Kiss and had I not moved here, I would not be educated in this. So, this is good. I am thinking when the weather turns, he may stop due to rain. He always stops by 10pm.
(One can hope)
Old 11-02-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's too funny.

The only one of my cats that I've noticed being affected by music is my youngest. He has a real problem with Lady Gaga. It came on my phone one time when I was playing music from it, and he started batting the crap out of my phone...but only during Lady Gaga. I put her on again the next day, just to see, and he did the same thing. Her voice must be offensive.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
Ha! My brother and his heavy metal. I do understand completely.
I did have this idea to sit outside and play Andrea Bocelli as loud as possible. Then I just thought that this guy is doing his thing and really is not harming anyone. .....I mean, I now know all of the greatest hits by Kiss and had I not moved here, I would not be educated in this. So, this is good. I am thinking when the weather turns, he may stop due to rain. He always stops by 10pm.
I was thinking that he actually doesn't have that bad of a playlist. It's a plus that at least you know when you can count on it to stop

My Waffles (boy kitty) loves music but I haven't quite figured out his preferences yet.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InsaneHeart View Post
That's too funny.

The only one of my cats that I've noticed being affected by music is my youngest. He has a real problem with Lady Gaga. It came on my phone one time when I was playing music from it, and he started batting the crap out of my phone...but only during Lady Gaga. I put her on again the next day, just to see, and he did the same thing. Her voice must be offensive.
Your cat is probably upset due to that weird fur head piece Gaga wore recently.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post

Me too, bigsombrero, I like hearing the trains and busses go by in Chicago. The red line passes underneath my window and I find it very soothing!
Old 11-02-2013, 08:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InsaneHeart View Post
That's too funny.

My cat attacks my cell phone every time it starts ringing.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by Melina View Post
Me too, bigsombrero, I like hearing the trains and busses go by in Chicago. The red line passes underneath my window and I find it very soothing!
Sorry (thread drift) but I had to say it. When I was little I loved sleeping at my Nana's house. She had this overstuffed bed and her sheets were always nice and soft and she had this big handmade quilt. Her bedroom window was right next to I295 and I would fall asleep to tractor trailers passing by engine braking.

Years later I found a great apartment not far from there where the overpass was directly above my bedroom window. People thought I was nuts because of the tractor trailers passing so close at night. On the contrary, I bought a nice, big soft quilt and would close my eyes. It brought me back to simpler, innocent times every night. I got some of the best sleep ever in that apartment.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was thinking that he actually doesn't have that bad of a playlist. It's a plus that at least you know when you can count on it to stop

My Waffles (boy kitty) loves music but I haven't quite figured out his preferences yet.
Yes, I can count on it to stop. Although it seems like some people showed up, so I think we may be rockin for awhile. His taste in music is good. I would not be able to handle death metal. I would have to call someone for intervention.

Now, on to the important matters. Finding out Waffle's interest should not be too hard. The discovery of Max and the flute was due to him standing in the middle of the room broad chested with his ears pointed. He was really into it Lady. Most of the time he sleeps, so this stance and him being awake was a sign to me.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sorry (thread drift) but I had to say it. When I was little I loved sleeping at my Nana's house. She had this overstuffed bed and her sheets were always nice and soft and she had this big handmade quilt. Her bedroom window was right next to I295 and I would fall asleep to tractor trailers passing by engine braking.

Years later I found a great apartment not far from there where the overpass was directly above my bedroom window. People thought I was nuts because of the tractor trailers passing so close at night. On the contrary, I bought a nice, big soft quilt and would close my eyes. It brought me back to simpler, innocent times every night. I got some of the best sleep ever in that apartment.
I love this. I was thinking about sleeping and the noises that help us to move into our dreams. I am not a city girl, and so the crickets and wind always helps me to get to sleep.
I love the quilt scene and the fact that you bought one for comfort. I miss my grandma so much. There is a foster Freeze here in this town that I moved too. My grandma always took me there to get a Vanilla Ice Cream Cone. Every time I pass the place, I think of my grandma. I really do miss her so much. Now, how is that for off topic?
Old 11-02-2013, 11:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Mizz ,
if only i lived closer , i could come round and sing If that didn't make your neighbour gawp ( 6ft nasty looking skinhead shouting stuff ) then i'm sure my 3 kilowatt sound system would help …
I suppose in a way though it is only 4 hours , and when i remember back to my times of getting hammered to loud music i know exactly what he's doing .

When i lived in rural france the ticking of the grandfather clock in my living room used to be deafening it was so quite , then the blood pumping in my ears … i used to sleep with the fan on for random low level noise and that made it a lot better .

Bestwishes, m