Notices

Friday night cravings

Old 11-01-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friday night cravings

Just flipping through Facebook and seeing a picture someone posted of the bottle they are drinking tonight and it hit. I felt my heart skip and my stomach drop. It wasn't even anything I'd ever drink, but just the reminder of the life I am trying to leave behind.

Cravings are weird, because I want to drink at the same time I am terrified and disgusted by the drink. My body just goes into a kind of panic anxiety mode. However, I think this is the first time I let myself recognize what was happening and try to just calm down. Usually I would maybe push it to the back of my mind and it would grow there until later that day, or the next day or the next I would just say screw it and have a drink. Not today. Today I came here.

Was supposed to work tonight but got my shift covered. I worked all day and was too tired to think about people talking all night about going out after work. I can't do that all the time, but for day 7, I made a concession. I don't know why I am sharing that except that I feel a little guilty and a little worried about facing the situation next week.

Anyway, back to my to-do list. Keeping busy always helps. Hope everyone has an awesome weekend.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi WritingHelps,

Great post. I can defintely relate when you said:

"Cravings are weird, because I want to drink at the same time I am terrified and disgusted by the drink. My body just goes into a kind of panic anxiety mode."

I am experiencing the same thing. Strange things trigger me and then I'm feeling panicked. Not actually thinking that I want a drink..but not sure how to "get out of" this particular feeling or frame of mind.

Anyhow, hope you have a nice Friday night. I'm about to go lift some weights and get my mind off things. You post helps : )

Gentle Soul
Old 11-01-2013, 04:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks GentleSoul. I've started running in the past few months and not having hangovers and the like certainly helps with my goals. I went for a run after work and that is such therapy in leaving behind a stressful day.

Dealing with these sudden cravings as they hit is something I am trying to work. I read someone on here write that when you relapse, it usually started way before you took that drink. And that really made sense to me. That is why I wanted to really confront what I was feeling when I was feeling it instead of ignoring it. Hopefully that will help it not blow out of proportion as it has so many times before. I don't know if I am doing this right, but I'm trying whatever I can!

Have a good gym sesh and stay strong. I'll try to do the same
Old 11-01-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I used to walk my dogs every time I had a bad craving... they got a lot of walks for a while and I stayed sober.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WritingHelps View Post
I read someone on here write that when you relapse, it usually started way before you took that drink. And that really made sense to me.
This phrase makes so much sense to me. It has given me something to think about. Tonight was a challenge because I started feeling bad for myself that I couldn't go to a local bar with my friends for dinner because I knew I would drink. I have to get back in a positive frame of mind or I will have a hard time again...

Thank you!
Old 11-01-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i go right to tomorrow morning and really try to feel it, in all it's glory (nausea, smell, stomach ache, splitting fog filled mind, anxiety and depression at the same time, shame, guilt) and the additional feeling that "i got to fix this feeling by planning to drink more..." and away you go ...

yuck. feeling hungover just thinking about it.