Notices

Alcohol smell

Old 11-01-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol smell

Today at work, I went to lunch with a group of coworkers. One of them had been out last night and when we got in the car I could smell the liquor on her STRONG! I asked the coworker who originally brought it to my attention a few months back that I smelled like alcohol if that's what I smelled like. He said mine was stronger and some days much stronger. Amazing how I never realized it then. I have to admit, it's rather embarrassing knowing now how noticeable it was. Glad to have put those days behind me!
Old 11-01-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know what you mean.I can really smell when someone just even has had 1 drink.God only knows how horrendous I used to smell some mornings. We think we can hide it with mouthwash and perfume but who were we kidding
Old 11-01-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I reeeked like a distillery. Always. I ate so many mints that my stomach would get upset. So many Mints. I would go through an $80 bottle of cologne monthly. It was ridiculous.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Walking around with my daughter trick-or-treating last night, I almost gagged on the smell of alcohol emanating from so many people. Last year my nose would have been stuck in my wine goblet, so I wouldn't have noticed. Another happy reason to be sober!
Old 11-01-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I remember Mum being quite disturbed when I drank a whole bottle of gin, (I think?!) I showered aaaand she said she could smell it through my pores! So very glad not to be like that today!

Xx
Old 11-01-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My hot yoga instructor says she can always tell when people have been imbibing a lot over the weekend.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There is nothing worse than a reformed smoker/drinker and I am both. I sometimes wonder if I have done a psychological job on myself because I can't stand the smell of nicotine or even someone's glass of wine near me. The alcohol seems to reek.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think it's kind of a "my farts don't stink" phenomenon when one is still in his cups. Now that I'm sober it stinks like heck.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I used to have people tell me all the time how bad I reeked of booze. Never noticed it on myself but since quitting I definitely notice it on others.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

This is high up on the list of things I'm so happy I don't have to deal with anymore.
Waking up the next morning and having intense panic till about noon, worrying whether people, especially my superiors would be able to smell the booze on me from the previous night. It's no joke, being an alcoholic is an exhausting business.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
My hot yoga instructor says she can always tell when people have been imbibing a lot over the weekend.
ha. that reminds me of the yoga scene from Forgetting Sarah Marshall, if you ever get a chance, watch that movie
Old 11-01-2013, 09:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I drank a bottle of rum one night and had to go to my school the next day to talk to a lady about internships. I took a shower and went to the meeting which was at 11 am. The lady was being so rude to me and I didn't understand why. Finally in the middle of her discussing something to me she blurted out, "Have you been

drinking?" In a sort of judgmental, angry tone. The room I was in had other students and teachers in it. I just replied,,no,,why do I smell? I tried to smell myself and I couldn't smell anything. I wasn't sweating either. She thought i was drinking in the morning before I came to the meeting. It was

embarrassing. I think the lady was a little out of line though saying that especially so all the other people could hear it. I never could smell booze on myself. I rarely smelled it on others unless they just did a shot. strange
Old 11-01-2013, 09:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh boy did this post bring back so many (not good) memories. Like nomis, I also used to spend half of my day in a blind panic convinced I must reek of alcohol. People said something on a few occasions but I dare say that maybe they got used to it and stopped saying something? God, how awful to contemplate.

I also used to buy Listerine (hello dumba$$, how about adding some alcohol to the alcohol??!!) and mints like crazy. And Halls cough drops. People must have thought I was perpetually ill. I figured they couldn't smell it over all that.

Wrong.

Nine months into sobriety, I can smell booze even over the most noxious colognes and breath mints. And in yoga class (not even hot yoga). I am hoping this superwoman sense of smell when it comes to booze goes away because sometimes it is gag-inducing.

Good reminder though that we never get away with what we think we are...

So glad those days are behind me
Old 11-02-2013, 04:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Funnily enough the smell has been known to stir AV in me in the past. Now than goodness I just feel for whoever it is.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
Walking around with my daughter trick-or-treating last night, I almost gagged on the smell of alcohol emanating from so many people. Last year my nose would have been stuck in my wine goblet, so I wouldn't have noticed. Another happy reason to be sober!
My wife and I stopped at my sister's on Halloween night after we'd given the kiddies in our neighborhood candies. My bro-in-law and a bunch of their neighbors were sitting out front giving out candy and a few were drinking beer. I, my wife, my sister and mom went in the house. When we left and walked past the beer drinkers, I was amazed at how strong the smell of beer was. My wife commented on it too. It actually smelled pretty nasty to me. I'll stick to coffee, thanks.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Vodka was thought to be odorless by many, AH HUH, comes right through the skin also.

BE WELL
Old 11-02-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am seriously amazed that I have never been told that I smelled of alcohol, especially at my old jobs- there is absolutely no way I smelled good. I went through gallons of perfume (also surprised that didn't give people headaches) and would even use fabric freshener on my clothes because sometimes, you know, you don't really do much laundry when you're actively drinking...

Gum & breathmints- I would stuff like a pack of gum in my mouth , thinking it would kill the smell. I do remember getting very odd looks from people, particularly customers. I also thought I was acting sober, but that's a whole different thread...
Old 11-02-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This is a nice reminder. Add not stinking to the list of positives of quitting drinking.

I could always smell it on me. It did come through my pores. I also used to have to ask a friend of mine how far away I needed to stand from her before she couldn't smell me so I knew how much distance I needed from coworkers and boss.

Minimum 6 feet by the way.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I make comments sometimes to by bf who still drinks when I do catch a whiff. His response is always..."I just had a few". It doesn't matter how many a person has...alcohol just plain stinks to me now. I does still trigger me even though it isn't a pleasant smell. I think it is the reminder that I can't/don't drink....I think I will remember this post now instead and be grateful that I don't have to reek like booze anymore!
Old 11-02-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have always hated that smell. I had an (angry)alcoholic mother and it was my tip off that it would be a bad afternoon or night. Steer clear.

So, in life, that smell has always been a horrible turn off for me. This may sound crazy, but before I thought my husband had drinking problem, and we were dating or first married, I would have a drink(which I enjoyed) partly because I could not stand the smell on him if I did not. As soon as he has just a few sips of beer, he smells of alcohol.

I am sure I did too, but if I drink too, I do not notice it on anyone. I never had anyone mention the smell on me the next day after I drank. I drank wine, and usually stopped after a bottle. Not sure if that would stay on me into the next morning after a shower? If so, I must have smelled dropping my kids at preschool a few times. Ugh.