Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Substance Abusers
Reload this Page >

It is out, now everyone knows my husband is a Meth Addict... and I feel relieved!

It is out, now everyone knows my husband is a Meth Addict... and I feel relieved!

Old 11-01-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So my entire family knows my husband is a drug addict his family knows, my neighbours knows and I finally told my brother. He is pretty upset and did not respond to my text. Got a nasty text this morning from my cousin who also knows. I spoke to his dad yesterday who is in total denial but its ok he is enabling my AH and that is also ok. I cannot control that and I did not cause that so there's nothing I can do to stop the enabling.
Today I also told my boss and I was so surprised he was not judgemental at all he said he felt sorry for me and if there is anything that he can help with, I should just ask. I feel so relieved my boss is very opinionated and I was scared that he would be judgemental but he was not. I feel so relieved now, I have got nothing to cover up anymore the secret is out! And talking about it is so much better than keeping everything locked up inside. My boss was so understanding and it turns out his brother was also a Meth addict but is now clean and thriving.
Wow just for today I feel so relieved so free!

Angel
Old 11-01-2013, 07:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Secrets hold us hostage, I'm glad you were able to let this out. I'm also glad your boss was supportive. It's good to hear another story with a positive ending (your boss's brother).
Old 11-01-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Telling the secret sets us free. It allows us to receive the support we need from those that care about and love us.

You'll be surprised to learn how many people you know that have had addiction touch their lives in one way or another.

Glad you found the courage to talk about and so happy you see that you have no control over other people and what they do. All those enablers will soon have addiction knocking on their own doors and dealing with the beast.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you! I'm sure you are feeling like the weight of the world has been lifted from your shoulders! It's no longer all on you now. Now you have support. I know it's hard to do you should feel very proud of yourself for taking this step!
Old 11-01-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dear Angelscry, It is a relief to get it out, to stop the secrets and lies. The judgmental ignorant people think and say will continue, but at least you can hold your head up, say yes there's a problem we are working on, or we are seeking help and support. Just try not to make it worse, as the gossip spreads, and it will, it might just reflect back to you. Cause he is gonna try to blame you, place guilt on you, and find a way to make all this your fault. Enablers are enablers. Kind of hard to fix them. And to have a supportive boss is a very wise man( or woman?) indeed. IF you desire on staying together with your hubby, get a plan going, does he know he has a problem or al least an anger issue? Is yes, run to the Drs. office, find the proper treatment and carry on. Take very good care of yourself, you're in for a long road trip, eat healthy, drink fluids and get plenty of rest. Best thing is find some extra support, meaning face to face support. Alanon, Naconon, friends and family groups, your church Pastor and of course here, SR. Sorry this is so long. Hugs to you, TF
Old 11-01-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is so liberating for everyone to finally know! I find that most people are non-judgmental and it will not reflect back on to you in anyway. Most people will just wonder why such a good person has chose such a bad path. We wonder that ourselves!!
Also, what others think about us is none of our business. That line has helped me tremendously. I can stop projecting my inner insecurities into something someone said ... that they really didn't say. The people who are talking about other people... well they need to really mind their own business and focus on themselves!!
I personally un-friend anyone who is judgmental or mean ( I don't need that in my life) I have no respect for people who think they are better than others!!
Keep sharing your story. I promise that once it gets out more and more.. you will learn so much about yourself and other people. I personally share my story with strangers (when we get to talking) and most people are really understanding and get what i'm going through! They also share their own stories. Wearing your heart on your sleeve does have benefits.