Notices

Today is my 3rd day one of 2013

Old 11-01-2013, 06:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today is my 3rd day one of 2013

Hello again!

Day one again. I have no plan no nothing to get me to day two except to pour out the rest of the beer. Not even sure that will work.

So much resentment towards normal drinkers that can go out and have one or two. I want to be a normal drinker so that I can have a social life like all my other friends.

I hate the feeling that I am different. And I have been trying for about 30 years to prove that I'm not. And yeah I am only 41.... you do the math!

Oh well nothing is broke and nobody is hurt and I didnt make an ass out of myself. And I actually dont have a hangover.

Life!

Gall
Old 11-01-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just keep trying! I, too, suffer from the obsession that one day I will be able to drink like a normal drinker....ugh! I do believe that is what has taken me out 3 times. I had years of sobriety....1st time 8, 2nd time 3 and last time 4. This time, I relapsed and stayed "out there" for 3 years. I am now on day 17....and have learned (once again) that I am not a "normal" drinker. If I rationalize in some way, and pick up that first drink....who knows what will happen???? Not me, for sure....what I do know, is that I will end up having more than 1 or 2 eventually, and return to my alcoholic drinking. Resentment towards "normal" drinkers is common in early recovery....but with time....I have been able to almost not notice it at all....keep posting....lots of support here...Best wishes!
Old 11-01-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi. Try to keep trying. Isn't it interesting that when people are told they are allergic to most foods like shellfish, peanuts and you name it most won't touch them again unless they are alcoholics and we keep testing alcohol with the same results each time. I think it's called insanity, how well I remember!

BE WELL
Old 11-01-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Gall, hang in there! Let's do it together. Today is my day 1 too. I LOVE that IOAA2 pointed out that I'm allergic to alcohol. Perfect! Thank you IOAA2. Alcohol makes me sick.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Read Kick the Drink by Jason Vale. It will make you feel sorry for anyone who still drinks alcohol, normal or not. It will make you feel a little smug about being a non drinker.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by gall1972 View Post
So much resentment towards normal drinkers that can go out and have one or two. I want to be a normal drinker so that I can have a social life like all my other friends.
The most liberating thing about my sobriety has been my acceptance that I am not an "normal" drinker, will never be a "normal" drinker, and therefore can never drink again.

Your resentment is keeping you penned into a corner. Life doesn't end with recovery. It begins. But you have get some sober time to realize that.

Good luck.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by gall1972 View Post
Normal is more realistically just a setting on a washer/dryer setup, lol.

You knowing you have unresolved burning resentments against other drinkers is half the battle won Take your insight and simplify your expectations on yourself. There are so many other ways to be successfully social and none of those innovations require you to keep drinking. Quitting and being okay with yourself and with others socially is very doable. Why not for you too?

To be honest, resentments really are a kill-joy. Dump them. Just being free of those wasted feelings and negative ideations will itself be a real boost for you

I speak from experience, of course. Resentments blow. Who needs them?