Notices

3 months

Old 10-31-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 months

I just joined the forum. I quit drinking almost 3 months ago. It seems different health issues are coming out of the woodwork. Does other people experience. That you worry health issues you did not think about before. I am afraid of becoming obsessed with it.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.
I don't really sweat about that stuff.
I just don't drink and go day by day.
Almost 100 days soon.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

First off, welcome to SR and congratulations on 3 months sober!

I don't think it's unusual to start noticing some health issues if they are minor. They are likely things you may have had before but never noticed because you were drinking and your body was waging war against itself from the alcohol. I'm no health expert and, even if I were, I could not give advice on here. If anything seems serious, I would just talk to your doctor. He/she can help put your mind at ease.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

First I had very high blood pressure. Before I stopped i had some incidents with it being pre hypertension. After a week of not drinking it went through the roof and I was hospitalized. I have the bp under control and have lowered the dose with my doc. Then recently it turned out I had a parasite and also vertigo. I am taking medicine for the parasite that I think maybe i had all the time but not with strong symptoms. The vertigo maybe because. I do a lot of swimming and after taking medicine from that it seems to be gone but I am not sure. You may very well be right that I did not notice these issues before but they where there. But apart from that because of depression I worry that have more serious issues. Maybe also just the 3 month mark is tough. In the past I have only been able to stop for around 2-3 months now I am getting towards 4 months.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi JKB

I know I became very fearful of the damage I'd done to myself.

I think the best thing we can do is stay sober, live healthy, and see our Dr for a full check up and follow their directions.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know that I ignored and/or was in denial about health issues while I was drinking. I just didn't care and I sure didn't want to talk to my dr.

Just try to relax and know that you are doing the best to take care of your health.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi jkb, welcome. I know alot of people start going to the dentist and doctor as they recover. Things we put off in the past. Knowledge is power. Best wishes.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

At least I am sleeping ok. For the first two weeks I took something for sleeping/anxiety but I stopped. Also my sleep apnea seems to have gone which I had while drinking. But it is as if I need everything checked before I can relax. Fearful that I have something with the stomach as I have acid reflux and the parasite. At least I got convinced that my heart is fine and I am sure now the high blood pressure is a symptom.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

congrats on 3 months - hope things get easier for you
Old 10-31-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

A positive is that I have had no cravings as I only think about getting healthy. I diet too and swim almost every day and have started on yoga. I never before when I stopped drinking did all this. The parasite and the vertigo though has slowed down my recovery.The high blood pressure which was at 190 at one point scared me so much this time. It happened in a little beach town. I am from Europe and live in the Spanish Caribbean. The clinic that I drove to myself was quite primitive. My bp was 160 but the shock of the clinic made it go up more. i spend a night there. Got back to the capital city the next day and went to a modern hospital and was there for two nights. I think dieting is key to reach to long term sobriety. In the past I did not stop going out to eat and to eat fast food and other fat food and I would eat ice cream and I think after a while it becomes natural to have some wine or a beer. And then it starts slowly all over again.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well done on three months. If you were drinking, you probably wouldn't be taking care of you health issues, so try not to sweat it too much. It sounds like the issues you have can be handled well by living a healthy life style.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jkb69 View Post
You may very well be right that I did not notice these issues before but they where there. But apart from that because of depression I worry that have more serious issues. Maybe also just the 3 month mark is tough. In the past I have only been able to stop for around 2-3 months now I am getting towards 4 months.
After two months sobriety I have also started to have more anxiety lately. Weird because it used to be the other way around - if I quit drinking my anxiety diminished. I have also had a few niggling health issues, mostly aches and pains, and find myself worried about them more now. It may also be that I have some depression, but I think it just takes time to work through all of this. It's been 3 years since i had this much sobriety and I don't recall these problems last time. A good reason not to have to do this again!

I do find that regular aerobic exercise is a miracle cure for a lot of health related problems and am trying to do more, even though the weather is getting colder. I may have to join a gym or start yoga again this year. Good luck on your health!
Old 11-01-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
After two months sobriety I have also started to have more anxiety lately. Weird because it used to be the other way around - if I quit drinking my anxiety diminished. I have also had a few niggling health issues, mostly aches and pains, and find myself worried about them more now. It may also be that I have some depression, but I think it just takes time to work through all of this. It's been 3 years since i had this much sobriety and I don't recall these problems last time. A good reason not to have to do this again!

I do find that regular aerobic exercise is a miracle cure for a lot of health related problems and am trying to do more, even though the weather is getting colder. I may have to join a gym or start yoga again this year. Good luck on your health!
I can really recommend yoga. I go 3 nights a week and every time afterwards I am relaxed and I sleep better. Also the swimming helps. I guess jogging and aerobic is just as good. I read in an article that studies have shown that exercise gives better results than prozac. I have always struggled with depression but I never wanted to take any drugs for it. Regarding my health. I did a video endelosclopia today and I will get result next thursday. They talked about that i have a few small ulcers. My wife was there too and saw it. So now I have that too as a result of the drinking. Reading on the internet it seems the gastrologist is already treating me for it with the medicine/antibiotics I am taking for a parasite and a Nexium I am taking for acid reflux. Hopefully I can turn it all around. Again one huge positive is that I only think about getting healthy and have absolutely no cravings. I have a little craving for other food than my diet though.