Notices

Day 2: Halloween in San Diego

Old 10-31-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Day 2: Halloween in San Diego

Where I live Halloween is quite the drinking holiday. I'm on day 2 today and I am certain I want to quit, but this may prove difficult. There will be so many fun things going on, but I guess I have to remind myself how not fun it will be if I cave in. Just gotta ride this one out I guess. I am afraid if I go out to dinner with my buddy I will want to drink. He's not a drinking buddy, he's my best friend of 16 years / pretty much my brother, but he likes to drink and we typically drink when we hang out. He says he won't drink tonight so that'll help, but this will really be my first time leaving my apartment since I decided to stop. I can do this without a drink, but it may be challenging!
Old 10-31-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh you'll be fine,Erik.
Just stick to your sobriety and keep your mind off the drinking.
My state has some huge parties that go on up in Salem and not to mention the World Series win last night. I'm plugging along and have no desire to go back to where I started from.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Erik, it's Halloween all over the world - we can ALL do this Be strong!
Old 10-31-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

It's your second day (good for you, by the way). Why not stay home if Halloween and going out is going to be a trigger? No reason to put yourself in a situation that may cause you to struggle.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ha true it's a bigger deal here than anywhere I've lived though, and I happen to live in the heart of the entertainment district.! I will make to day 3 though!
Old 10-31-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thing is... the people who are wanting everyone to drink, are not the ones who would go through YOUR particular set of withdrawals are they Sometimes we forget that just because it's a special occasion, we don't get handed a free pass from suffering shakes, sweats etc etc for a week afterwards.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Swashbuckler

Originally Posted by Erik1980 View Post
He says he won't drink tonight so that'll help, but this will really be my first time leaving my apartment since I decided to stop. I can do this without a drink, but it may be challenging!
He's aware of your decision to quit drinking and is abstaining to help you? If so, he may be the most valuable friend you have.

Good luck.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't think he's ready to quit although I think he should. I think he will abstain around me if I ask him too though.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If my sobriety were important to me I would avoid all drinking establishments and anyone who may drink around me this early in sobriety. Halloween. Its just another day to me. This year it's one I will remember.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If my sobriety were important to me I would avoid all drinking establishments and anyone who may drink around me this early in sobriety. Halloween. Its just another day to me. This year it's one I will remember.

Its pretty hard to expect a friend not to drink on Halloween if he is a drinker.

Stay Home
Old 10-31-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would lean towards advising you to stay in with a movie. Personally I could use any holiday as a reason to drink.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Holidays, like any day, is what we make them. We call the shots on how to observe the day. Cool thing is that Halloween has a lot of fun booze free options. Any local haunted houses etc? Grab a couple Halloween themed movies. Or stream them off of Amazon. Carve the world's coolest Jack-O-Lantern, splurge on your fave candies from childhood.

It's my BF's fave holiday, and this will be his first sober one, and our first sober one together. Just so you know I'm not talking out my butt.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Erik, congrats on 2 days!!

I feel ya I was born and raised in sd. There are lots of things to do that don't involve booze. Start a new tradition with your friend. Go to a diner or someplace that doesn't serve booze. Get ice cream. Go to the beach!

It's totally cliche, but true: no matter where you go, there you are. San Diego, Las Vegas, a monastery on a cliff. If we are alcoholic and want to drink, we will find a way. If we are alcoholic and know we don't want a drink, we can find a way to steer clear. We are a creative bunch.

If you go to the beach, say hi for me I'm landlocked now. Oh, and stay the heck away from the gas lamp!!

You can do this, dude!

From wehav, displaced Encinitas girl.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I live on 5th Avenue.... Ahhhh I can't leave my place and not be in the gaslamp, I'm smack dab in the middle ha ha, I guess ill just have to rely on willpower enough not to go to one of the 40 something bars at my doorstep... Oh man
Old 10-31-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

whats the need to go out, Erik?

D
Old 10-31-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well at the risk of sounding, I dunno shallow, Halloween is a great night to meet single women here. That whole thing plays a component in my want to go out and be social I suppose. I'm not going out though.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

If you go out to meet girls you're going to want to drink to make it easier to talk to people. Stay home. If you're serious, I would really consider staying home. Good luck.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yeah that's the idea... Maybe dinner at some place that isn't a bar with a friend then Netflix
Old 10-31-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I understand the motivation but you're just around 48 hours sober.
Give yourself and your recovery a little time to settle in.

I'd try to be patient...staying sober is hard enough without jumping through all the hoops and peer pressures of trying to meet women as well.

stay sober and in a few short months you'll be a far better headspace for all of that

D
Old 10-31-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Order Pizza in, call your family, watch a scary movie Avoid all temptation.

Light some candles. I got my pumpkin candles burning now. Searching for a movie on Netflix. No drama. No Chaos. No regrets in the morning.