Notices

Happy Halloween

Old 10-31-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Happy Halloween

Halloween is one of my major triggers. For whatever reason I feel like I need to be "enhanced" to really enjoy it. For me, today is the day I need to apply everything I've learned to make sure I stay sober. Anyone else out there who finds Halloween a tough day?

Everyone have a safe, sober, and happy Halloween.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck with staying strong today. I'm going to go to work, come home, maybe workout or just eat candy and watch movies. And it sounds good. Happy Halloween!
Old 10-31-2013, 06:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me it's just another day but I saw the following. Enjoy.

But is Halloween really that bad? While everyone knows that it's a yearly celebration, what is it actually a celebration of? Let's take a brief look at it's roots and origins...
You may be surprised to know that Halloween is actually a very religious day, but not in the true Christian sense. Halloween originally dates back thousands of years ago to the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain. The Celts celebrated their new year on November 1st, which marked the end of the summer harvest and the beginning of the dark winter. This supposedly was the time when their sun god, Muck Olla, was losing his strength, since the leaves were dying and the days were getting shorter. They believed that on the night before their new year, the spirits and demons were at the peak of their power and this was the time when the ghosts of the dead revisited the earth to possess and haunt the people.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, but I know I will win. I'm my neighborhood where we all take our kids to trick or treat, moms and dads wheel wagons full of drinks on ice rather then children. I'm hosting the Pre party, I'm not serving alcohol or participating if they choose to BYOB. This is my 1st sober Halloween so I'm nervous but certain I'm not going to fail. Just may be a tad jealous!

Enjoy your Halloween Bruce stay strong and OD on candy!!!
Old 10-31-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a spooky night everyone

D
Old 10-31-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I do have a sense of feeling out of place tonight as usually I would be out and about traversing from one bar to the next grateful for yet another night to get wasted. Instead I am home passing out candy and checking in on SR. I am going a few towns over later to pick up my son who is at a party; I NEVER would have been able to do that last year. I believe this is the last of the "holidays" to go through sober...and it will be a whole year that I will have done all of them sober. Phew....just need to get through tonight!
Old 10-31-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Halloween is a tough one for me as well. I don't know why but I just feel like I should be drinking when handing out candy. Last year I was wasted by the end of the night and it was a Wednesday. This year I have to go through a Friday Halloween. The weather is so bad today it got moved to tomorrow for Trick or Treating. I will make it, though!
Old 10-31-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. I handed out candy, watched a 1940s horror movie, and really enjoyed the evening. The part of me that thinks I need to drink and get high is ever present. I got lax thinking that it had gone away. It took Halloween to remind me that it's the really scary thing in my life.

Again. Thank you. Your words helped more than you know.

Happy Halloween!!!