Notices

Routine

Old 10-31-2013, 03:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Routine

My old friend. Without you I would be a mess.

As a runty kid I knew everyday the exact time and could hear the car of my drunken step father. I knew just when to hide and be invisible.

In school I knew where I could be when cutting classes so I would not get picked on. Outsmarting the bullies was easy.

They say timing is everything. It was back then. But that laid the ground for a very routine based life that without I become a bit off. Lol

Who knew it would grow into this.

Every morning I could count on guilt and shame to declare "I will not drink again!"

Every evening I could count on a loose memory to give permission for one more time. I had over a decade of one more times.

My routines are all off now because of the move and new job. But I am not the mess I would have been. This morning I got up and for the first time here I felt my auto pilot. Ahhhh... A morning routine. It was easy.

I have now built a whole new evening routine around things so far from drinking. Like I have to pass the gym so it's easy to stop. Get a few groceries daily to buffer the short ride from work to home.

I get how staying sober needs to be in the moment. But I found with this change that to stay sober needs planning as well. So a little forward thinking has really helped.

I still have the cravings. Sometimes bad like the other day. But the more routine I use as a sober tool the better I will be. I could never retread my routines where I was. I needed a big change to do this. I won't waste a single opportunity. I cannot afford to.

Do you use routines as a sober tool? Or is it just the ODC folks? Lol

Ken
Old 10-31-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Routines are great. I also used the gym stop, and I make myself a pot of herbal tea every morning and evening to remind me of what I should be drinking.

I'm glad things are going so well for you Ken. Life is so much better sober, isn't it?
Old 10-31-2013, 05:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I use and like routines. They fill my day and more importantly my head with constructive things to do. I have been told I'm not allowed in my head without adult supervision and routine acts like a surrogate adult.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
I use and like routines. They fill my day and more importantly my head with constructive things to do. I have been told I'm not allowed in my head without adult supervision and routine acts like a surrogate adult.
Me either! Great quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I think having "auto pilot" go to tasks is useful .

I like to lay in bed and read and post on SR whilst half watching the telly . Breaking old unhealthy drinking style habits was part of working my solution and also making new routines once i'd got over the "shell shock" of sobriety health wise .

Taking mum shopping , doing the weekend wash , making time to post on here and add to the weekender , doing a workout session with a mate . Work , reading a book . music making , x-boxing ,
You make me think maybe i'd get more done if i structured them a bit more ? although routine tends to grate after a while with me ..

Bestwishes, m
Old 10-31-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm the same way with routine....

i'm comfortable with the daily chores and one of the main reasons I tell myself that drinking is not an option...because I don't want to barf on my trainer or perform badly when we meet in the mornings.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes I think that all the times I am sober, I have been in a fairly tight routine. I have commitments that I try to meet and places that I seek to avoid. Last time I got drunk, a friend called me up and asked me to go out to somewhere I shouldn't go. It was way out of my routine. And it ended really badly with the police involved and all sorts of horrors. I know that routines can appear boring or restrictive but actually, they free me from slavery to booze.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Breaking my drinking routines has been challenging at times. They are, however, becoming more ingrained and easier...natural almost. I gave up smoking cigarettes too when I quit drinking....it was easier to break those routines as I always had a drink and a smoke. I find I need to work in some quiet time in to my daily routine. If I don't have some alone time at some point in my day I get cranky. Routines are good and necessary for this recovering alcoholic...great reminder...say hello to Maine for me
Old 10-31-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am a routine gal. I feel stable with routine and always have. So, when I quit the ol' wine, I took up the routine of drinking watered down Italian Soda. I wake up at the same time every day, go to sleep at the same time. Now, I have all of these memories of my daily routine. I do not have the drinking forgetting routine built into my routine. I am much happier. I hope that you are adjusting well Ken. Moving is always a hard thing to do. At least for me it is.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I drank more when I had no routines, that's for sure. Especially around food - if I got hungry enough, I would throw everything out the window and go out to eat...and then just order a glass of perfect wine to go with it. Having a good routine is like a spiritual practice too, I am going to look at this for myself, because I am not sober yet, but I am not drinking right now.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Do you use routines as a sober tool? Or is it just the ODC folks? Lol

Ken
Do I ever! I built a new evening routine because that was drinking time for me. When I start making dinner I put on an apron and pour my fave NA drink because that was the time I poured the first chilled white. After dinner and kitchen clean up I go for a short walk because that was when I sat down with the second glass. I changed the chair I watch TV in, I only watch for an hour and then I go and do my online projects -- instead of sitting there in front of the TV drinking more.

When I'm tired I go to bed. This may sound obvious but, pre-sobriety, when I was tired I'd have another couple of drinks.

Ken if you're OCD I'm right there with you -- and loving it!
Old 11-01-2013, 02:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So good to know I am not alone! Some great comments.

My routine today has a bump with a visitor but all is good. A non drinker.

K
Old 11-01-2013, 03:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Routine indeed!

rou·tine
ro͞oˈtēn
noun
1.Action placed in the brain that removes the need for the question "What am I going to do now?" which could possibly lead to drinking.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Love it!