Have you ever dealt with a Meth addict who is psychotic

Old 10-31-2013, 01:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Have you ever dealt with a Meth addict who is psychotic

Since our separation I noticed that my AH has changed allot his behaviour and speech and he became obsessed with things. He is convinced that I am sleeping with two other men, one is a guy whom I used to travel to work with in 2007-2008 and we are still friends. the other man is a detective as he claims. He makes up stories that I go out with this detective after work on a Friday and he really believes it even if there are many people who can tell him that I am at hom on a Friday.

Yesterday my friend text me and said my AH was at his house and told him he knows about our relationship. My friend told me that we barely talk and see each other and that we are just friends and that is it. But my AH came to me this morning and told my that my friend told him we are having an affair and its been going on from 2007? He was devastated and angry and I shut the door in his face because I got scared. So he left and went to W's house and made a scene was shouting in the street and banging on the gates and he was totally convinced that we are seeing each other behind his back. What scares me is that yesterday he sent me a message and said he spoke to W and W said we have nothing going on and he just wanted to hear that and he seemed fine. But this morning he was unreasonable and behaved like a maniac.
I think this is what they call Meth Psychosis, can anyone shed some light please? He is behaving like an animal and much like my schizophrenic mom when she has an episode. He believes what he concocts in his mind. He even spoke to the pastors in our church and they said they noticed that he was unstable. He is spreading all sorts of stories and rumours about me and I do not know how to handle it. He went to court this morning to get a protection order against me because I hurt him? So lady who handled it phoned me explained what he was doing and asked if we could both come and see her. So now we have an appointment for Monday. He was so upset she said she will try her best to calm him down. What is happening to him? How do I handle this my son saw him this morning behaving like a mad man screaming and shouting insults at me. I phoned the police because I was scared.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You simply cannot make sense of what the addict says or does.
If you try.....you risk a trip to "crazy world" with them. Crazy
world is overrated. It's not exciting or fun......just hopelessly
predictable drudgery.
Noone 'believes' anything they say.If it appears they are
....it it because they are smiling and nodding their
head as they stealthily inch backwards away from the
addict towards the door to escape.

I call it the "addict escape moonwalk".

Meth is extremely dangerous to be around......be careful!
Old 10-31-2013, 06:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My son is addicted to meth and he can be extremely volatile. His emotions are on a hair trigger; anything can set him off. Your appointment Monday should prove very interesting. I imagine that the court will realize the state your husband is in. Be very careful, keep yourself and your son safe, and don't argue with your husband or engage with him.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

When my son changed from crack and other drugs to meth, it was a real game-changer.

The very last time I spoke to him, over 9 years ago, he was in psychosis and hysterical because people were trying to kill him and not much of what he said made sense. He had been dealing with Hell's Angels and all the wrong people so it could have been true, but I learned later that it was just psychosis that comes with heavy meth use. A year after all this, I heard from someone who knew where he had been (and thought I knew too so talked openly about it) and he had been in jail, in a psychiatric unit for a few months, and was still "out there" and using. That's the last I ever heard of/from him.

My point is, meth can completely change a person, even change them from how they were on other drugs.

My prayers go out for you husband and for you and all who have to deal with this.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mayabee View Post
Be very careful, keep yourself and your son safe, and don't argue with your husband or engage with him.
Hi Mayabee, I have a protection order against him and he is not living with us at the moment. Meth really messes people up he is doing things that he would never do under normal circumstances.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
My point is, meth can completely change a person, even change them from how they were on other drugs.

My prayers go out for you husband and for you and all who have to deal with this.
Thank you for the prayers Ann I really do need them. Meth really changed my husband and it seems like its just getting worse. I pray that he will find the help that he needs and get recovery.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Angelscry View Post
But my AH came to me this morning and told my that my friend told him we are having an affair and its been going on from 2007?

But this morning he was unreasonable and behaved like a maniac.
I think this is what they call Meth Psychosis, can anyone shed some light please?

He is behaving like an animal and much like my schizophrenic mom when she has an episode.

He went to court this morning to get a protection order against me because I hurt him? So lady who handled it phoned me explained what he was doing and asked if we could both come and see her. So now we have an appointment for Monday. He was so upset she said she will try her best to calm him down. What is happening to him? How do I handle this my son saw him this morning behaving like a mad man screaming and shouting insults at me. I phoned the police because I was scared.

He violated the protective order and you didn't call the police to report it.
and he's afraid you are going to.....

So....he went and filed one on you to even things up.

If he is calling you.....you need to call the police and report it.
If he comes within 500 ft. of you....you need to call the police and report it.

His addiction has progressed to the scary part. You need to be very aware of this and start keeping your boundry.
You filed a protective order....USE IT......
Old 10-31-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by YearForMe View Post
He violated the protective order and you didn't call the police to report it.
Hi YFM, I think you misunderstood I did phone the police. Oh my mistake I did not include that in my post. But I phoned the police and he took off before they even got there.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sounds like paranoia, which is very common with meth addicts. I have seen my brother in a true psychotic state were he did not know where he was, who I was, or what he was doing. I had to babysit him at the hospital for hours on end until they could get a urine sample & give him something to knock him out. Another time, he was so violent at the hospital they had him cuffed to a bed. Paranoia & psychosis are two different things. Hope this helps.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Angelscry,

Ann is right. Meth is a game changer. My daughter was shooting meth when she lived in an area where there was no heroin. I had not had any contact with her in about 9 months. I didn't even know where she was...someone called me one day and said she was very sick but she wouldn't even talk to me. Then she called a few weeks later and asked if we would help her to get into rehab so my husband and I drove the distance and picked her up.

She was psychotic for the three weeks she was with us while waiting to get into a rehab. Maybe it is a combination of the drug and lack of sleep. I tortured myself by wondering if she would ever be normal again or have mental problems the rest of her life but her brain did normalize after some time. I am not sure how much time. ..I received a letter maybe six weeks after she was there and it was well written and she seemed perfectly sane.

She is six months into a 24 month inpatient rehab program. She has a lot of responsibility in her job and seems to be very sharp mentally, very understanding emotionally and in surprisingly great health. I will forever be grateful for the miracle of her experience (and mine), never knowing what the future holds, but hoping for the best and putting the rest in God's capable Hands.

I know what you are going through. Talk about powerless. I felt like I was losing my mind. Fast. You and your family are in my prayers. It sounds like you are taking steps to take care of yourself and that is not only good but the main task, the most important thing you can do. Continue to do whatever you have to do to take care of yourself because meth users are dangerous, to themselves and others. However, once they make up their mind to get help, their minds, bodies, and spirits still posses this enourmous capacity to heal even after all the abuse...
Old 11-03-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes...they can have symptoms that mimix paranoid schizophrenia.....very scary for all!

You are doing good keeping yourself safe by calling the police.

It is better that he doesn't come around.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you present tense, I needed to read your message today. I have often wondered if my son chooses recovery again what lingering mental issues we may have to deal with. Before this year long run the longest he would go was about 2 months, he'd get arrested then clean up while he sat in jail. Before this last relapse he had 9 months but this has by far been the longest stint. He's always managed to sound pretty normal within a couple of weeks. What kind of a program is your daughter in that lasts 24 months? You also mentioned her job. I don't want to hijack this thread but would love to know more about it.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

My daughter is at Cenikor. They are located in Texas and Louisiana. It costs $400 for in state residents and $1500 for out of state residents to enter. They are required to work and support themselves and pay for their own rehab. It is peer run and very strict. We were waiting on a couple of rehabs for openings and the deal was she went to the first one that called with an opening because I was truly losing my mind with the psychosis and all.

Cenikor was the first one with an opening and that is how she ended up there...
Old 11-04-2013, 06:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Never dealt with anyone in a meth psychosis, but I did live it, so…the one thing I can’t stress enough is how real it all is. For all the memories I do not have, that insanity I have in such vivid detail that even knowing it was all drug relate I still want to say it was all real. I tend to get stuck right there, because there was no way to convince me that my perception of the reality in the moment wasn’t exactly what I was feeling and seeing.

Keep yourself safe.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Angelscry....

I'm sorry, I didn't catch that you called the police for this event.

For a protective order to be useful...you must not have any contact with him that you initiate and you must report every single time he comes around or calls you.

If you let him get away with it one time...he thinks he can do it every time.
That is the nature of addiction and specifically...meth addiction.

While in active addiction there is an enormous sense of entitlement.