Notices

Finally went to the Dr.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally went to the Dr.

Well I went to the doctor today. I'll be 4 weeks sober on Friday. They diagnosed me with anxiety / panic disorder. He said I've probably had anxiety problems and the booze just masked it. After being on prednisone for the last few days and feeling like crap, having major anxiety, I hope the Prozac will help. I'm a little nervous to take it because I usually don't take medicine and the prednisone had such a bad effect on me. Has anyone had this diagnosis after quitting? And if so, was anyone else prescribed Prozac? I was kind of caught of guard by him prescribing that but I'll try anything at this point to feel like a normal human again and quit feeling like I'm always gonna die, full of panick.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

4 weeks is awesome! The further I got away from my last drink and drug the better I felt.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have to say, I feel really accomplished. It's still really hard but worth it. I notice my family interacts with me a little different now and they tell me they're proud of me. My kids are what really hold me together though. Ever since I quit, I have eaten dinner every night with them as a family and I have started praying with them every night before bed. I know they can tell the difference too. I will be honest and say that at times the anxiety gets so bad it makes me kind of wish that I didn't quit because I felt fine mentally when I was drinking. However, I'm willing to wait for that light at the end of the tunnel that makes this all worth it.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just keep in mind that it will take a bit for the meds to work...stay strong in the mean time. I have severe anxiety myself. The kicker was that I have been on the meds for almost 3 years. They only started working properly since i quit drinking. I feel much better at 39 days sober.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi welcome letlifebegin.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds like me!! I went an saw a naturopath this week and I'm doing so much better!! Biofeedback!
Old 10-30-2013, 09:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

LetLife, have you researched the side effects from prednisone which include depression, anxiety, mood swings, insomnia? Yikes! Sounds just like my withdrawal from alcohol. And that anxious panicky feeling is horrible, feels like jumping out of your own skin.

I hope you and your Dr get this sorted out soon.