Notices

This is my first time admitting I need to stop drinking.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question This is my first time admitting I need to stop drinking.

I've never really admitted that I may have a problem, but after loosing one if my jobs this weekend and almost loosing the other one on account of drinking, paired with the horrible withdrawals I went through for the past 3 days or so it is crystal clear to me that I need to make some changes. Every bad things that's happened to me in the past few years I can attribute to alcohol. My body doesn't handle it well anymore. I think I can quit if I put my mind to it. I don't want to be back in this spot I've been in all week ever again.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You've come to the right place Erik. I've been sober for 39 days, and can attribute most of it to this forum keeping me strong. There's a lot of information (read the books section for some great reading ideas), and the people are great!

We're here for you!
Old 10-30-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, glad you're here.

May I just say something about your last two sentences? "I think I can quit if I put my mind to it" and "I don't want to be back in this spot I've been in all week ever again." In my experience, the alcoholic mind has a funny way of forgetting about and/or rationalizing those bad experiences especially when "willpower" is involved and a drink is in front of you.

Please keep coming back or try AA or some other recovery program, it will help keep the experiences of this past week...in the past!
Old 10-30-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Stay steady. You can do it - best now than after more things catch up with you. Take good care of yourself.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, it's nice to know I'm not the only one dealing with this. I've also reached out to a family member who has been sober 6 months and a friend that has been for 4 years. It helps to know its possible to quit. If they can do it so can I. I work as a bartender so that may be tough bc I'm always surrounded by it but we shall see. I feel like I have to just really remember why I quit in the first place. I could no longer lie to myself that I could moderate my drinking or that it wasn't causing me detriment.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am glad you have people you can count on for support both in your personal life and online.
A sober bartender! I think you'll be surprised at how many customers react positively to that. as a former bartender I can say, it makes customers feel safer, like someone is watching out for them til the end of the night.

You can do it...don't look back...only forward.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome,

I think I had a similar wake-up call this past Spring. I was soooo hung-over and sick all the time that I just knew they were going to fire me. I never went back. I went to rehab, screwed up majorly after that and now I'm back on the wagon. I don't make guarantees often, however this time will be an exception. You'll definitely find wonderful support on here.

Wishing You The Best,
Jazz
Old 10-30-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I also lost a job due to drinking along with some other privileges. It really takes a huge toll on self esteem. Whenever I start to crave or trigger I just remind myself what is as stake and it keeps me sober for one more day. Best of luck to you, you CAN do this!
Old 10-30-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Eric, welcome.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by Erik1980 View Post
I think I can quit if I put my mind to it. I don't want to be back in this spot I've been in all week ever again.
HI Erik. I'd like to suggest a slight change to your last two sentences because I think they are almost perfect.

How about - I know I will quit when I put my mind to it.

And - I will never be back in this spot I've been in ever again.

Give this some careful thought to these suggestions because they can lead to acceptance. Once you accept that you no longer drink, you can be free. For good.