Notices

No sense of humor

Old 10-30-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No sense of humor

So I've been sober 74 days. Some days good some days bad. I bartender at night cause I'm stuck there for now. I have no craving caused by bar tending. It, I find drunk people extremely annoying which is funny and very ironic. I repeatedly ask them to please shut up in my head. It's the same stupid stories the whole time every day. It's hard to hold a conversation. Anyone else have this? Normal or not it's very annoying.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UrbanFarmer View Post
So I've been sober 74 days. Some days good some days bad. I bartender at night cause I'm stuck there for now. I have no craving caused by bar tending. It, I find drunk people extremely annoying which is funny and very ironic. I repeatedly ask them to please shut up in my head. It's the same stupid stories the whole time every day. It's hard to hold a conversation. Anyone else have this? Normal or not it's very annoying.
Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 10-30-2013, 06:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I haven't been around many drunk people since I quit drinking, but I imagine they would drive me crazy. I am just barely getting back to being able to tolerate regular people, lol...
I always drank alone so I never spent a lot of time around the drunks, it was just me acting like an ass~
Old 10-30-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had the same feeling, after I stopped I still bartended for 7 more months, it got to the point where I cringed when anyone came in.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi there also a bartender and also strangely not that triggered by work. However I used to work going to college bar where drinking after work was normal and my customers were really hammered and annoying all the time. I don't think I could have gotten sober there. Now I work at a fancy resort and the whole energy of the job is different. It's rare I deal with someone who's at the "did I pay you yet?" level.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hear ya man I'm a bartender too. It's easy to get caught up in the industry lifestyle and have it run away with you. Today is my first day sober. Lost one of my jobs sat because I was hammered at work. Woke up still drunk sun, had a couple shots to stave off the withdrawals, almost lift my other job, then proceeded to stay in my apartment for the past 3 days going through withdrawals. This is when I finally realized I need to quit, my body and my personal life can no longer take it. I hope I don't have a problem Bartending and staying sober.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Erik I hope you hang in there. This is my 4th time on the wagon and each time got worse and worse. The more I feel better the more I know I will never go back. Actually too scared to go back. If I don't drink again I will never have to feel the withdrawals again. Of course there are horrible days but I have hope for the next day and keep pushing through. I hope for you. Charliee I always drank alone too, and liked it that way. Alone drunk with my thoughts and only me to listen to myself. Rough road. "Time is the beauty of the road being long". Why I found helpful is to jam all your fears into a half our have your daily panic and know you're scared crapless then say screw it the rest of the day, if that makes any sense.

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 10-31-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah by the end I was drinking alone quite often too. I'd just come home from work, or if I had the day off just sit in my apartment drinking. Not always to excess but frequently there were times if put down 3/4 to a bottle of vodka in a day. I didn't ever go a day without at least a few drinks. Those days when I only had a few made me felt like I was still in control, but within a week or two if have a blowout night and be on a bender for a couple days. Then I'd have terrible withdrawals. I'd create problems for myself with work sometimes. At a certain point a couple days ago I realized I couldn't continue lying to myself that there wasn't a problem with this after I got fired from a job for showing up blacked out, pissed off one of my friends who was telling me I need to quit drinking, almost got fired from my other job the next day, and four days later my body still doesn't feel good. This is my second day of sobriety. I've never tried it before, I once I admitted I need to change, I feel really committed to seeing it through. It was hard, but I reached out to family and friends. Somehow that makes me feel more accountable for my success or failure. I am strong willed so I think I can do this. I quit smoking as a pack a day smoker years ago. The difference is alcohol is so intertwined with my work / social life / every day pattern of behavior, I think that the biggest challenge for me. My strategy I suppose is to keep reminding myself of how absolutely terrible I felt physically and emotionally and that I never want to get there again. I finally admitted to myself that if I start down the road of even having one drink, eventually I will end up there, or worse.