Notices

hurting for my grandchildren

Old 10-29-2013, 11:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hurting for my grandchildren

my son is an addict and his children are the ones suffering. I had a long talk with the oldest grandchild, she is 14 and has been cutting herself because of her father. it is a long story and too late at night to post it. but I found this site tonight and really need support. I feel so helpless. Ive been through this with my son before with alcohol in his earlier days. now its crack and heroine. I am familiar with the 12 steps and am trying to apply them in my life but its hard.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oddreamreeni you are in the right place, there is a lot of support here and you are very welcome. Each of us here knows about addiction whether it's our own or someone close to us. Your grandchild has a lot of confidence and trust in you when she can talk to you about such deep issues.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to SR. I'm sorry for what brought you here but glad you found us.

I have to say I'm really concerned for your Grandchildren too. I understand the 12 steps but I think there may be a reason for you to step in here when they are in danger.

I have no real experience of this to share, but I just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you, and would like to direct you to the forum where people will have the most experience to help...

Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Best wishes to you x
Old 10-30-2013, 01:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi. I'm wondering if your grand-daughter told you as a cry for help - as someone she can trust and loves.
Its so hard, but is there any way you could bring yourself to contact social services/welfare people? Or, could you let the kids move in with you for a while?

Lots and lots of hugs to you Xx
Old 10-30-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oddreamreeni, Hello and welcome. You are in the right place for support. Also check out the friends and family section. I began cutting myself around the same age. I still don't know exactly why I chose to do that to myself. I am sure it was due to the abuse I was receiving from my alcoholic mother and step father. My fathers mother (Granno) was the only person ever in my life that gave me unconditional love still to this day. Her being there for me was the only sanity that I ever had in my life and I fully believe had it not been for her I would not have made it this far. She needs to know that her fathers inability to be a father has no reflection on who she is or wants to be. Cutting would give me relief of the emotional pain that I was in and I guess gave me some level of control over myself. I guess it was also a cry for help but I would never have opened up to anyone as to the severity of the issue. I hid it very well. I am so sorry for you and your grand daughter. I am sure she is a very sensitive soul. Learn as much about alcoholism as you can and I would encourage you to look into Al-anon and Alateen. Sometimes knowing and sharing with people who can relate can really help. It took me several groups till I found one that I fit well in. I still go to other groups just to check in and I also go to an open AA meeting once or twice a week. I rarely leave a meeting without getting something even if it is just a badly needed hug.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I agree with contacting childrens' services for the well being of the grandkids. Living with an addict is not healthy, as your granddaughter is demonstrating with cutting herself.

Welcome to SR! You've come to a great place for support.