Notices

Tough living near a tourist town

Old 10-29-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tough living near a tourist town

Went into town today to do some errands with hubby. I have mentioned this on another thread, but have to reiterate ....EVERY SINGLE PLACE has a happy hour sign! 2 for 1 drinks from like 11:00 am to 7:00 pm. I zero right in on those signs like they are neon lights. My husband doesn't even notice them. Today, we had to talk to our realtor....he proceeded to talk about the bar for "locals" in town (which we have not been to since we just moved into this area). He went on to say how they do not overcharge, etc. etc. AND THEN, the voice in my head was saying, "We should go check it out"...UGH! I kept my mouth shut, and the feeling passed. I have to remember that people are here on vacation....and they probably can enjoy the benefit of happy hours. To me, I don't want to go to any of these places....It is too early in my sobriety for these slippery slopes. I did actually say, "We don't get out much. We are pretty much homebodies"....and that seemed to stem the conversation....whew! Day 15 and counting!
Old 10-29-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I know what you mean, trudging. We lived in Ocean City, Maryland for 5 yrs. - a bar every few feet it seems. I finally realized I wasn't missing a thing. Congratulations on your 15 days!
Old 10-29-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Hevyn...even when I just take a beach walk, there are beach bars/restaurants/shacks serving alcohol...yada, yada....I now wait until low tide to go for a walk and walk right along the water's edge.....far away from all of them!
Old 10-29-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I live in a tourist spot too - I never see the happy hour signs now - you'll get there too trudgingagain

D
Old 10-29-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Same thing here. After enough time has passed you won't notice them anymore.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Your mind will begin to shift perspective and it won't be long before you don't notice those bars anymore. Congratulations on 15 days sober.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was just thinking along those lines today. They sell beer and wine in supermarkets, convenience stores, gas stations, pharmacies, etc. A lot of pharmacies and supermarkets have an affiliated liquor store attached, so there is no escaping temptation if you are looking for it. One thing I cannot understand is selling single beers at gas stations.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Bilr44, here they sell single beers everywhere. We really had to HUNT 6/12 packs when we first moved here. No difference in price for a single or buying by the pack....hahaha! I really just realized what I said....Why do I need to know this?????