Notices

Worried about my job

Old 10-29-2013, 05:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Worried about my job

I work in a restaurant and the whole lifestyle/ industry is big for drinking. Pretty much everyone hangs out after work some times and goes to the bar. And I like my co-workers and they like me, so it's tough to say no to going out after work. I mean, they will like literally plead with me to come sometimes. I'm not using this as an excuse. I really am trying hard to stay sober and not have another day 1.

I'm only on day 4 now and I am just looking for tips on dealing with this kind of situation. I feel strong now, but it is harder at the end of a long day when sitting down with friends and drinks sounds good.

Advice?
Old 10-29-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to be a professional musician.
It got to the point I knew I had to change my life if I wanted to be sober.

I don't regret doing that - I've found many new paths to travel since then.

I realise it may not be easy for someone else to do what I did and walk away from my old life - but I do think you need to work out where your priorities are, WritingHelps

I figured out keeping others happy was killing me. That's not a great deal by anyone's standards.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If going out puts your sobriety at risk this early in, I would decline. If you don't put not drinking as the number one thing, it is much too easy to slip. Four days is fantastic but remember, you aren't even fully through withdrawal yet. Please give yourself time to adjust.

I have seen this kind of slip happen over and over on these boards. If it "sounds good" guess what--you will do it if you put yourself in the situation. The choice to not drink really does start way before the situation happens. Good luck!
Old 10-29-2013, 05:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Do they know. Would they understand? Drinking after work was a big problem for me it hindered those days when I thought I still could control.
Don't let pointless but enjoyable after work drinks wreck your sober journey. It's so difficult in the first part to endanger it. It really would be usefull to you to not put your head in the lions mouth. Some jobs just make it harder to start with.
John
Old 10-29-2013, 06:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by WritingHelps View Post
And I like my co-workers and they like me, so it's tough to say no to going out after work. I mean, they will like literally plead with me to come sometimes. I'm not using this as an excuse.
But you are using it for an excuse. Work is work. You have every right to say, No thanks, I don't feel like it." If you want to get sober you will be firm in your refusal. If you want to be talked into going so you can drink, you will.

It's up to you.