Notices

Week 4: more symptoms

Old 10-28-2013, 05:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Week 4: more symptoms

So this past Friday made 3 weeks sober for me. For the first two weeks I experienced severe anxiety and some depression. The last week was really good. Saturday, I started feeling very weak, lightheaded and dizzy. I woke up the next morning and actually went to the hospital. The doctor said I had fluid behind the ears and gave me some steroids. I made a follow up appointment with my regular doctor for Thursday because I think there may be something else going on. Could me feeling like this be withdraws? During week three, feeling as good as I did with good blood pressure and no anxiety I thought it was over, now here I am. Unsure about what's going on with my body. It sucks that I never had medical issues until I quit drinking. Now I've been to the hospital twice since. I'm at a loss.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Withdrawal is different for different people so it's impossible for us to diagnose you over the internet. Not to mention, it's against the rules. I'd ask your doctor during your appointment and s/he can set up tests to determine what's going on.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, that's what I plan on doing. I am just curious if symptoms can come and go from week to week..
Old 10-28-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hear you! I am on Day 30. I have had really scary digestive issues for the last three weeks and I am tired all of the time. The only thing I can come up with is that my body was more adapted to alcohol than I realized and it is having to readjust itself. That, or coincidentally, I am fighting a strange virus that just happened to coincide with my quitting time?!? I, like you, was actually feeling physically great when I quit and I expected quitting to be "the cherry on top." I am a little bummed to feel this way, because I wanted feeling physically great to add to my motivation to stay sober. I have decided I just have to give my body more time to sort itself out and then hopefully, I will be in awe in how good that I feel. I spent years and years abusing myself with alcohol, so I think patience is what is only fair to my mind and body and spirit now.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think a lot of us fall ill after we sober up. Someone else will probably have a scientific explanation for that - I just know it's very common.

Hope your Dr can help set your mind at rest

D
Old 10-28-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

And, I found I became aware of a couple of physical issues when I stopped drinking. However, they had been there all along, but I had been oblivious when I was focused on alcohol.

Talking to your dr is the best idea.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I truly believe we need to take care of ourselves especially in early recovery. You've been ill for a long time even though you've apparently had no physical issues. Your body is recalibrating itself, your liver and brain are working overtime on recovery, chemicals are being readjusted, a lot is happening. Are you helping yourself in the way you eat, drink and sleep?

A checkup with your own doctor would be a very good idea.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My diet has definitely changed. At first I started drinking a soda a day after work instead of having beer but since have cut back. I also noticed that after I quit my appetite wasn't what it use to be and I cut out most junk food, I just don't crave that stuff anymore. I actually started meditation today to help with anxiety and have been sleeping ok. I have a 4 week old baby boy so the sleep isn't as easy to come by as it use to be. My craving for alcohol are also gone on the weekends now. I only have cravings during the week and because of that I believe it's my jobs stress level that causes it. Sorry to ramble. Anyways, I am just praying that I can get back to normal and start living life like a normal person. I'm afraid it's going to be a long road. God bless all of you that are going though it cause this isn't easy.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

letlifebegin, you have a four week old and your three weeks sober, I admire you! It might be a good idea to see your doctor at least weekly for a while. Perhaps you could raise this with him/her on Thursday?
Old 10-29-2013, 01:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm convinced that it's not so much that we fall ill when we quit drinking; I think it's just that we get used to always feeling like crap and just assume everyone feels that way. Hard to notice being sick when you're falling down drunk. It somehow feels worse when you're sober.

Just keep up with the doctor's advice and keep doing what you're doing...or rather, not doing (drinking)!