Notices

2 weeks sober, but feeling VERY anxious

Old 10-28-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 weeks sober, but feeling VERY anxious

Maybe it was just the weekend, but my anxiety is through the roof. I know I should be keeping it simple, but I find myself trying to take on the world right now. This will get better, right?
Old 10-28-2013, 06:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It will anchor. Not all days are awsome (I'm at 47) but I always remember those hangover days and tell myself at least it isn't one of those. Also how much better I handle daily stress (work, kids, etc...) with a much clearer head. Hang in there and thanks for posting!
Old 10-28-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Anchorbird. I'm on day 15 and could have written what you wrote - so thanks
I've been trying to burn up excess energy (anxiety) and been running around cleaning windows and things - it does help

Xx
Old 10-28-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just do what you can manage to do each day. Try not to push too hard.

Congratulations on your sobriety!
Old 10-28-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

remember to breathe, sit quietly and reflect on why you are trying to be sober.

It does get better. And you can have the life you want.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have a lot of fluctating moods in ealry sobriety. I can feel fantastic and renewed one day and depressed and achy the next. Anxiety is often an issue for me, drinking or sober. But in early sobriety, I find I can easily get a case fo the jitters over something small. I think our nervous system is used to being modulated by chemicals and has to adjust to an even keel on its own.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Two weeks is awesome.

Originally Posted by anchorbird View Post
This will get better, right?
Yes. Two weeks is very early in recovery. I kept it real simple the first month I was sober. I focused on not drinking. That was it.

Take on the world when you get some sober time under your belt. It will still be there.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
quat

great on two weeks!! that's fantastic !!

Like everyone has said and my own experience is that is does get better, your body and mind tend toward a more even keel with time, you beat them up some , so give them a chance.
If it helps to take your mind off of it, I could pm you my address, I hear baking can soothe the soul, just saying , anything I can do to help
Old 10-28-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I echo what others are saying it WILL get easier . I am on day 46 and haven't had any pangs in a couple of weeks and finding myself going days on end without alcohol entering my mind. There is only one thing that is for sure and that is whatever you may feel anxious about you will handle it so much better if you don't have a hangover to contend with as well. Don't give up on it. Give sobriety a real chance to work.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Do you exercise at all? That can be a tremendous help. Even just walking can totally change a frame of mind.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Dwtdb, I bake every day and bring the goodies to the AA meetings I attend. It does help to keep my mind busy. I also exercise, try to get the gym or for a walk every day. I am actually about to leave to walk the 1 1/2 miles to a meeting. Thank you all for replying to my post. It helps to know I am not alone.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Skye2 View Post
Hi Anchorbird. I'm on day 15 and could have written what you wrote - so thanks
I've been trying to burn up excess energy (anxiety) and been running around cleaning windows and things - it does help

Xx
Me too......spending a fortune at the container store organizing like a crazy lady (lol).
Old 10-28-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sobriety! Hang in there. It will pass with time. I've always had anxiety whether I drink or not. The alcohol only numbs it for a while. Then it comes back worse than ever, plus the guilt and disgust with myself. I'm so glad to hear you're going to AA meetings. I went to my first ever last night. I found it very supportive and helpful. Let's stick together. You'll get through this
Old 10-28-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Anchorbird, today is day 30 for me. The toughest days so far were from about day 9-16. I think my mind/body was going, "oh, she's serious about this?!?" and I was just all over the map. I was so bummed because I wanted to feel so much better and use feeling better as a motivator for myself. I agree with everyone though, that hangovers and shame always, always felt worse than my worst days of sobriety so far.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
quat

Originally Posted by anchorbird View Post
Thanks everyone. Dwtdb, I bake every day and bring the goodies to the AA meetings I attend. It does help to keep my mind busy. I also exercise, try to get the gym or for a walk every day. I am actually about to leave to walk the 1 1/2 miles to a meeting. Thank you all for replying to my post. It helps to know I am not alone.
lol I remember practically smelling that picture of your well worn bundt pan, I'm jealous of that group
Old 10-28-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I put off taking on the world until I took myself on first anchorbird.
There is a good amount of wisdom in 'keep it simple', at least for a while...

congrats on 2 weeks
D
Old 10-28-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The first couple of weeks for me were quite tough, but it does get a little easier as you proceed. I am only on Day 36 myself but i have found that to be true
Old 10-28-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The above posts provide very good advice. the only thing I would add is that you try not to project, just take it one day at a time. Focus on the present and enjoy the beauty of sobriety !
Old 10-28-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Dee posted a link for PAWS somewhere. I read this in early sobriety and it really helped me understand better the symptoms of withdrawal.
Once I understood what I was going through it made it easier.

CaiHong